What is this all about?

eleven_68

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I was curious if anyone knew what this is all about(see picture). My G. pulchra hasn't eaten since we got her, Tuesday November 18th. I tried feeding her again today(sunday, I tried the first time Thursday) and the picture below shows what she did with her food. The cricket is not fully wrapped in webbing but it does have a small layer over it and it is dead. She doesn't seem interested at all in food. There is the possibility that she is due for a molt since she is missing leg I on the left side. She hasn't molted for a few months as far as I know but beyond that I can only guess. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

Wh1teshark

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Maybe she wrapped it up to have when she get's out of her molt. I have no idea if T's normally do this but I think reading about true spiders do this to prey that get caught in their web.

/Dave

Frostbyte

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Im my experience , when I toss a cricket in a Ts home and the T doesnt want anything to do with it . Its molt time . As far as the webbing goes I doubt shes going to save the cricket , maybe shes too weak to fight the cricket off. Maybe she webbed it so it wont be a threat while she molts. Ive heard may times of crickets eating a T during a molt. What its that T like? I really like the looks of them . I want to add yet another T to my collection , I just wanna stay in a calm area. No more Cobalts and Hair flickers for awhile ! Good Luck with the missing leg !

Aviculariinae

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Its not hungry,and the idea of the wraping in web is it is going to keep it and maybe eat later maybe not.
This just my idea of what it maybe doing,as ive seen my GBB do this on numerous occasions,Nice t.,
;)
all the best

Palespider

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
My guess is she's not hungry or she's going to molt. I don't think I would be worried though. Look at the size of her, she's looks like she's going to pop ;)

Jim B.

eleven_68

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Originally posted by Frostbyte
What its that T like? I really like the looks of them . I want to add yet another T to my collection , I just wanna stay in a calm area. No more Cobalts and Hair flickers for awhile ! Good Luck with the missing leg !
my G. pulchra is extremely docile. I have done some work inside of her cage with her in there in the past week since I got her and she doesn't seem to care at all. She hasn't ever flicked her hairs at me or even moved when I came into the cage for that matter. I think she will be the first T that I hold because of her docile nature. The Brazilian Black is kind of expensive. She was originally 90 but Michael of the Spider Shoppe marked her down for me since she is missing a leg.

If you are just looking I would also suggest a PZB (Eupalaestrus compestratus). We have one of those also and she is very docile but also likes to hide. She has been in her hide for a week and two days now.

On the other hand, the G. pulchra hasn't even gone into the hide at all. She stood on top of the opening but that was it.

Thanks for the feedback everyone and good luck with your T shopping Frostbyte!

PapaSmurf

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
so far with this family they all seem to be picky eaters i've got 2 chaco slings and 2 rosehairs i drop a cricket in with them leave it in for a few hours they dont take it, i get the cricket out and try again. They always end up eating and the cricket never goes to waste :)

Josh

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Tarantulas often lay down a mat of silk to molt on. She may have been doing this, and the cricket just got in the way. But whatever the case is, I would take the cricket out if I thought she were going to molt soon.

Spike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I agree with venom i would take the crick out incase she does need to molt.

Tarantula Lover

Psalmopoeus Lover
Old Timer
Yeah, thats the same thing my Aphnopelma seemanni sling did, and a few weeks later it molted, it looks like a molt to me, good luck!

James

P.S- Nice pulchura!