keeping crickets alive?

stu

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Just a few questions-

What is the best way to keep crickets? lately they seem to be dropping dead all the time, I keep them in a small glass tank on top of my bearded dragons enclosure so they stay warm. They have egg cartons to hide in and some small peices of potato and veg to eat, yet they always seem to die off.

They are not dieing from old age as they are small cricks used to feed my slings and plings.

Any ideas on what i'm doing wrong or have I just got a few dodgy batches lately?

Cheers,

Stu.

Wh1teshark

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The most common thing that happens is that they eat eachother. Mine did that even though I had alot of food (dry food + vegetables) present all the time. I put in some more hiding-places and they didn't kick the bucket at the same rate anymore.
Try to have a smaller amount and keep them with food and good hiding and a box with moist peat-moss to lay eggs in. This way you can have a smaller colony going all the time. Don't forget to take the egg-box out and place it in a small pet-box, or else they will get eaten.

I think they are truly a pest to maintain. Especially when they start playing. The can with pesticide has been dreadfully close from times to times...

/Dave

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Lack of adaquate ventilation is a common cause of cricket motality. I keep mine in topless plastic tubs. If you need a top. make sure it's screen.

Wade