PZB . . what am I doing wrong?

Frostbyte

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I came home from work today and again I found my Pink Zebra Beauty IN her water dish. Actually sitting in about ½" of water. To make matters worse the water was kinda chilly Im guessing about 65 degrees . I have most of my Ts in a room with a space heater about 75 degrees . . I know this is on the chilly side for a T. All my other Ts are acting fine , its just the PZB that has me confused on what I maybe doing wrong . I tried to get her out of the water and she kicked a massive hair cloud at me ! Help Please !

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
As long as her book lungs aren't in the water, I would say not to worry! Although there COULD be somehing bacterial bothering her, if she's otherwise healthy, I can't see why a little bath would hurt her.

Frostbyte

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
she looks very healthy , Ive had her 2 weeks now and her butt is large. The other weird thing is I tried to give her a cricket 2 days ago and she didnt want anything to do with it. As far as the water goes .. its always her legs that are in it . :? :8o :?

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
The only reason I could think of for keeping her legs underwater would be parasites irritating her. Have you inspected her very closely? If she STILL looks o.k., I wouldn't worry!

Don't EVEN think YOU are doing something wrong, the one behavior that EVERY T shares is DRIVING US NUTS!! They ALL do stuff that doesn't necessarily make sense to us without ever revealing their true reason for doing it!!

Spike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hmm. I agree if she looks fine dont worry too much about it.

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
Originally posted by Frostbyte
I came home from work today and again I found my Pink Zebra Beauty IN her water dish. Actually sitting in about ½" of water. To make matters worse the water was kinda chilly Im guessing about 65 degrees . I have most of my Ts in a room with a space heater about 75 degrees . . I know this is on the chilly side for a T. All my other Ts are acting fine , its just the PZB that has me confused on what I maybe doing wrong . I tried to get her out of the water and she kicked a massive hair cloud at me ! Help Please !
I have had spiders do this also, and in every case it was a symptom of an upcoming molt. The fact that she refused food would also tend to bear this out. You might moisten her substrate a bit more, as she seems to be seeking a higher humidity. Apart from that, just leave her be, and in the fullness of time you should soon have a freshly molted PZB.

Joy

Bagan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
If you ask me, I think she's trying to drink in some extra moistrure ion preparation for a molt. All the Tarantulas I own have done a similar thing right before they molted.