Question about Microwaveing substarte

heyjeyniceid

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
bought some vermiculite to use in the new T. Blondi homes as I hear that its the most sterile substance to use.

SInce I also heard they can be a tad bit more sensitive than most T's, I went the extra mile and microiwaved the vermiculite for 15 seconds.

Is this safe? Im a microwavieng n00b and have never tried this. Got kinda nervous after I microwaved it not knowing if its safe or not.

deifiler

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I do around 4 minutes in a 800W microwave... Still, it won't kill all the nasties. Baking it for 30 mins or so seems a betteridea a mon avis...

When we were younger (shame on us) we observed a fly last over 5 minutes in a microwave, then exit and fly off 'perfectly fine'. Come to think of it, that fly probably mutated or something gnarly and formed the SARS virus....

Vermiculite shouold be fine, however I wouldn't advise using it for your blondi, at least not 100% vermiculite... Maybe a ration of peat 70 : 30 vermiculite

Hope that helps

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Microwave it, bake it, or autoclave it, it's sterile for about 5 seconds after you expose it to open air. Sterilising substrate unless you *know beyond all doubt* that it's infested with something deleterious is a waste of time that actually stands a better chance of opening up the tank for a harmful bacteria or fungus versus the perfectly harmless normal population that was in it to begin with.

Atalanta

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
From what I've read, it is best to moisten any substrate before microwaving to prevent fires.

For my blondi, I use jungle mix earth substrate (not the wood chip kind for herps) and coconut fiber bricks, which help hold in the humidity. The ratio I use is probably 60-65 jungle mix and 40-35 coconut fiber.

heyjeyniceid

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
oh! good info. Guess Ill be mixing in some peat as well.

just wanted to practice some preventative measures.

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Originally posted by heyjeyniceid
just wanted to practice some preventative measures.
What preventative measures? Preventing a normal population of fungi/bacteria? You want preventative, adapt your blondi to dry substrate, the worst thing you could be doing is attempting to create a sterile, moist environment becasue as anyone with a bit of knowledge about sterile technique can tell you it's only sterile for the 5 seconds I mentioned and then you run the risk of creating a monoculture of who knows what.

Do what you want, it's your T, but the only thing I make any effort to sterilise is leaf litter collected in the wild to knock down the population of mites it starts with (and I just keep it in the freezer to do that). Everything else goes straight from the bag to the tank.