Mites ?

Frostbyte

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I was cleaning my Rose Hairs' water dish ( it was almost empty ) and noticed several black mites . These were so tiny you couldn't even really see them. Im talking specs , which I thought was substrate. I cleaned the water dish with hot water . #1 where do these come from ? Ive never seen them before . #2 Im guessing I need to do a full substrate change? ( I only use pet store substrate , its supposed to be parasite free ! ) Other than that the T acts fine . I checked all my other Ts water dishes and thats the only 1 I found them in . Thanks Again !

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
My philosophy regarding mites is to not do anything unless they are in numbers or are on the tarantula itself beyond making sure I keep the substrate completely dry. Several specs? Mites come in *thousands* when there's a population problem and, hence, a potential problem.

If you are paranoid, do the substrate change, wash *everything* in the tank with hot, soapy water and/or a mild bleach solution (if you use a bleach solution - 1 part bleach to 19 parts water is more than strong enough - make sure to air things out very well). Then put in bone dry substrate and leave the water dish as the only source of water. Mites will dessicate and die in a dry cage while your T will do fine. The water dish works as an attractant as well, mites will continue to come to the water dish which lets you throw them out every few days as well as monitoring their population.

Most mites are completely harmless, just a nuisance when their numbers get out of hand.

Frostbyte

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Wow Code , thanks for all the info ! This rests my mind a bit better !

metallica

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Originally posted by Code Monkey
My philosophy regarding mites is to not do anything unless they are in numbers or are on the tarantula itself
like this?

this lividum is now completely free of mites, and doing fine!

Frostbyte

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Howd you get the mites off the T? Thats just nasty ! Makes me feel sorry for the T !

metallica

Arachnoking
Old Timer
i used a fine brush and some talcum powder. alos put this Haplopelma extremely dry for some weeks.