How to set up a roach colony??

MrFeexit

Arachnodork
Old Timer
Thats it...anyone that can post what I would need it would be greatly appreciated.

1. type of enclosure
2. type of roach
3. feeding
4. substrate etc.

OldHag

ArachnoHag
Old Timer
I know everyone does it different but heres what I do.
I have a big tub from walmart (32gallonish) and I cut a hole in the lid and put on a screen. I have shredded aspen for the substrate. I also put in those tubes from papertowels they LOVE to hide in them and also the egg carton things (they like the tubes better). Ive had orangeheads and hissers...Orange heads are nice because they dont climb but Ive found that the hissers are not as prone to "eat" eachother...
I feed them carrots, apples, oranges, bread, broccoli, bananas, oatmeal, potatoes, bell peppers, mushrooms, beans, grapes, pumpkin, just about any veggie actually!!OH and they like that Gut Load stuff for crickets too. Mine like carrots and apples the best. I also provide a small dish of water with cotton balls in it so the babies dont drown..you dont really need this if you feed them apples and oranges as they can get the water from them, but I find a LOT of my roaches use this water source and I just cant bring myself to take it away from them.
I put a ceramic heater on top of the screen to keep the temp in the 90s, they seem to breed better that way.

Michelle

Michael Jacobi

ARACHNOCULTURE MAGAZINE
Old Timer
You don't specify what species of roach you are interested in propagating, but here are some general methods that have worked for me (I currently raise Blaberus craniifer, B. discoidalis and B. giganteus, but have also raised hissers, lobsters, orange-heads, etc. identically). Others use different set-ups and have equal success.

1. I use Rubbermaid 244D storage tubs. These are opaque and around 30+ gallons. They are tall enough to have vertical square egg cartons with about six inches left to the top. I cut a large square into the top and cover the hole with screening that is hot-glued from the inside. Other people use 5 gal buckets, garbage cans, etc.

2. That's up to you. What size feeders do you need? I recommend avoiding those that can climb smooth surfaces like hissers and lobsters and stick with the non-climbing live bearers such as the Blaberus species (B. discoidalis - the Discoid or False Death's Head - is the most popular and least expensive), Orange-heads (Eublaberus prosticus) and Blaptica dubia.

3. Roaches will eat many things. I give mine my own recipe cricket/roach diet, greens, apples, bananas, oranges, and dog food. If you raise Eublaberus prosticus make sure they get extra protein (e.g., dog food - these guys are infamous for chewing on each other) and if you raise Blaptica dubia make sure they get extra fresh fruit (or females may abort). I no longer provide drinking water to my roaches - they get what they need from daily greens and fruit and it makes for far reduced maintenance and mess.

4. I use 4-6 inches of pine or aspen shavings - do not use cedar!. I build a frame that will hold five 12" square egg carton pieces vertically - with their "backsides" alternately reversed so that the cartons don't nest together.

Other points:

Keep warm - these roaches will breed best at 85-90F (I know one guy whose roach room gets to 100F in summer and they breed like crazy!)

Egg cartons are available at eggcartons.com.

Last edited:

Mendi

Arachnowolf
Old Timer
CM was kind enough to post this sometime back, in the insect forum...

Blaptica dubia colony setup

Will work with any of the non-glass climbers, climbers too with the addition of a barrier.

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
I've just started with two adult male hissers and three adult females. I have had two "critter litters", about 60 little 'uns. They are supposed to mature within six months, so I'm just going to sit on what I have and start feeding them off when I have about three different sizes. Besides, they ARE kinda cute, so I don't mind having them around. And, the only thing I will name them is: breakfast, lunch and dinner!!!:eek:

MrFeexit

Arachnodork
Old Timer
GREAT STUFF!! Thanks to all. Is there a roach specie that makes a better feeder than another? It looks easy enough to do. When I get a chance to pick up a starter colony I will get this bad boy rolling. I have the perfect warm spot for them, in my boiler room in the basement.

Thanks again.