Special

Jakob

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by genious_gr
That's close, allmost there ;)
Left third leg seems to be one molt ahead of legs 4 on both sides.

Later,

Jake

genious_gr

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Actually, all three legs (No 4 on both sides and No 3 on the left) were regenerated in ONE molt.... Amazing bugs aren't they??:D

Jakob

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Actually, all three legs (No 4 on both sides and No 3 on the left) were regenerated in ONE molt.... Amazing bugs aren't they??:D
Oh I see...but looking at the size differences leg 3 must've been lost first. Both of left and right leg 4 must've been lost either at the same time or within a short timespan of each other.

And yes it is amazing...if only we could do that...but then again we shed a million skin cells every hour haha

Later,

Jake

genious_gr

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I dont really know how that happened... That is how I got it from Vardoulas and that is how he received it in his mail. There was also an exosceleton in the pack so we've assumed it tried to molt while beeing shipped and it didnt go well.

Jake seems to have a point so the one must have been cut before the guy shipped the spider.... Funny thing is there were 2 more Regalises in the order and the other one of the two also missed one leg that has as well been regenerated.... I guess they are comfy here..:D :D

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Definitely amazing. It's also very gratifying when they "do their thing" in textbook fasion.
She's a beauty by the way. Congrats on the re-gens. :)

Atrax

genious_gr

Arachnoangel
Old Timer

I was wondering;

1)T's don't use nerves right?? Then what do they use to control their body???

2) If I'm right, some lizards also regenerate their tails and I guess they have nerves that have to regenerate as well. So, isn't it interesting that they regenerate while in humen they don't??

Jakob

Arachnoprince
Old Timer

I was wondering;

1)T's don't use nerves right?? Then what do they use to control their body???

Tarantulas use hydraulic pressure to control everything, along with ''muscles''. That's why they're so prone to ''popping'' when they hit a hard surface.

Later,

Jake

pronty

Haunting Spider
Old Timer
Originally posted by JakeRocks
Tarantulas use hydraulic pressure to control everything, along with ''muscles''.
Hydraylics to extend, muscles to retract, right?

genious_gr

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I knew that, let me rephrase

What do they use to comunicate with their limbs etc. ?? Nerves Don't move the body, they transfer the signal....

avmaviator

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
PFM

What do they use to comunicate with their limbs etc. ?? Nerves Don't move the body, they transfer the signal....
PFM....Pure freaking Magic, just use that anytime you don't know something, it seems to work fairly well, lol.

I can't wait to get a regalis! Its really cool how they regenerate.

BTW, when legs regenerate, do they do that at once (the whole leg) or can they do half a leg at one molt then the rest later?

Arno

deifiler

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yeah the leg regenerates then appears as an entire proprtional leg, complete with the hairs and other spangly bits, albeit at a smaller size. It all generates in the spiders coxa section of the 'leg' (where it has to fold up, hence the smaller size). A leg won't 'half-generate' though: either the entire leg will be generated, or none at all (time being the main factor):

Apparently, regeneration of lost limbs only occurs if the leg has been autotomised (self-amputated so to speak:{) within the first quarter-third of the period between moults

Argh I hate to seem like an arsey-know-it-all, but spiders do have nerves. I'll type up a thingy explaining how they move, based on other information I've read/been told/thought of myself/applied to the mechanics of a spider leg. I had a look at one under a microscope last week, and don't be fooled into thinking a leg is just hollow fluid filled tube!