One of the most dreadful experience in my life

Wh1teshark

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well, here's what happened.

A few days ago i purchased a big beautiful H. Maculata.
Yesterday I was fixing with it's cage (one with slide doors) and somehow i must have accendentally slid one of the doors open, just about a inch. Well I was away all day and when I got home (having bought a new lamp for the spider) i saw to my great horror that the Maculata wasn't in his cage!!!

On top of this my apartment is old with millions of places where he could hide (in the closets there are spaces that I don't know where they lead).

I looked franticly for about 2.5 hours and was close to giving up hope since i thought that I had ran out of places to look in. My girlfriend was comming over after she got back from work in a few hours and the clock was ticking. I didn't want to tell her "Hey baby, one of my spiders has kind of escaped and It could wery well have been crawling on you last night and I don't have the faintest clue where it could be!"

As i thought that all hope was lost for me and I would never get my gf to sleep here again i found her!!!!!!!!

It was laying far away from her cage under a shirt in another room.

Just wanted to share this with someone that understands :)

I'm so happy that i found her!

Best regards,

David

Attachments

Wh1teshark

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
and I also want to mention that I amd not proud of this at all. Exept for this board I won't tell anyone because something like this isn't supposed to happen.

I will make sure that i change my routines after this...

/Dave

genious_gr

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
after nearly losing a super-tiny sling, I really DO understand.....

The Red Queen

Mrs. TarCan
Your were luckier than I was when one of my critters went missing. Last year I tried to feed my H. lividum, but I did not see that she was hanging at the top of the terrarium. When I opened the lid she went crazy, jumped out at me, fell on the floor, then ran into the closet! I did not find her before I had to leave for work, and she went missing for 10 days. I finally found her in a really stupid place... a dresser drawer where I keep my underwear! LOL! I get in there every day... you would think I would have found her a lot sooner! I was lucky she didn't bite me :eek:

Spydra

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
TOOOOO funny Red!! Attack of the Tarantula panty sniffer! hahahaha!!! =D

Oh wait, do T's have a sense of smell or is it just vibrations? :?

Renee

Deliverme314

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
When you said one of the worst experiences ever and I read H.maculata I thought for sure you had been bit as I am told there's is horrible... glad everything worked out man.

The Red Queen

Mrs. TarCan
Originally posted by Spydra

Renee
Yes, T's can smell using olfactory hairs. These hairs are located mainly on the pedipalps and first pair of legs.

rapunzel

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I also lost one..

my a. genic escaped and was gone for a month and a day, I believe. My whole story is posted somewhere on this board..but the bottom line was, my b/f found it in the bathroom one morning, annnnnnnnnnnnd he wasnt happy. The T looked great, had molted, and was healthy.
Glad you found it.

Mendi

Arachnowolf
Old Timer
I've been there as well... Had a grown female A.seemanni take off, but luckily found her 2 days later. And had a little P.ornata bolt last winter when I opened the vial to feed, haven't seen a trace yet... may he rest in peace

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
After losing an 8" Haplopelma schmidti and spending a good 4 hours tearing the room up (full of junk) I can totally sympathise. She actually pushed her lid off, despite having another full glass tank on top of it. Strong beast.

She was in the curtains on the other side of the room.... I have never been so relieved in all my life :)

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Originally posted by The Red Queen
a dresser drawer where I keep my underwear!
Better a bite than finding out where the t is from what would be some rather unpleasant urticating hair placement.... ;)

Scott

The Red Queen

Mrs. TarCan
Originally posted by mrderanged
Better a bite than finding out where the t is from what would be some rather unpleasant urticating hair placement.... ;)

Scott
LOL! Try explaining that one to the gynecologist!

blackacidevil

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
no happy ending

A couple of weeks ago I left a Reptile Expo with three new spiders. After driving to the sister-in-laws and then going home I noticed that the B_Vagans sling container (hot sauce deal) was not on correctly. Needless to say it wasn't in there anymore and I tore the van up looking for that sling but it was so darn tiny it could've got into anywhere. I still hope that I will see it crawling along the dashboard one of these days but it is now getting way too cold. I feel so guilty knowing it was my carelessness that caused this to happen. :mad:

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Originally posted by Spydra
TOOOOO funny Red!! Attack of the Tarantula panty sniffer! hahahaha!!! =D

Renee
So, we first look in the panty drawer next to the vibrator, when the T escapes, is that it? LOL;P

E

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Originally posted by monantony

BTW scott its an OW...
T
I knew that Tony. That's why I said better a bite than urticating hairs in my underwear :)

Scott

DnKslr

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I can understand completely!
My Rose hair got out once when my brother in law accidently left the top to the aquarium up. She was gone for a month. Then one day, my boyfriend (now my hubby) came home from work to find this "giant spider" sitting in front of the fridge! She hasn't gotten out ever again(without supervision that is!)
I did lose 2 of my first tiny slings because of the same person's mistake. He's no longer aloud to touch my T's tanks or even look at them without me in the room!

manville

Arachnoking
Old Timer
glad you found it..i enjoye reading all you guys stories....non of my tarantulas have escaped yet..hopefully not..;)

cricket54

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Sure glad you found the T before she did or before
it got hurt. I haven't had a tarantula get out yet
except to run up my shirt, but I did have a boa
who was an escape artist. First time he got
out and we thought he was gone, I found him
coming up from under one of the burners
on the stove (electric). It was weird to see
this head poking out of there. He didn't want
to come out either, but I got him out.
Sharon

Sheri

Arachnoking
Old Timer
You have now terrified me with all of your stories.

I like my t's - but only inside their cages.

If the animal borroughs, there is no way it can climb, right?
Also, my t-blondi could never ever ever climb out. Right??

Thanks in advance for the reassurance I am counting on getting...