MOVING!!!! Need Tips, Tricks & Hints!

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Since I was sitting on $78,000 equity and interest rates are so low, I thought I'd put my house on the market so I might have a new one maybe in January. Well, my house sold in 4 DAYS!:eek: Escrow closes Dec. 14, and I'm SO NOT PREPARED!

I bought a home only about 8 miles away, and moving my Ts doesn't SEEM like a big deal... but I KNOW how "spit happens" with the little buggers. So, I want to hear all of your moving experiences and hopefully it will help me to prepare for the worst!;)

deifiler

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
'They' say moving house is *insert statistic like 'highest'* time of 'stress'

Probably the most important thign I can say, is that it is essential you transport the actual spiders as if you were posting them; package them up as normal into containers, then fit them into boxes accordingly.

DO NOT try and transport them by leaving them in the fully furnished tanks!! Spiders can get bumped etc and recieve fatal injuries. I had my Pterinochilus lugardi lose a leg due to this mistake. Despite the tedious work involved in packaging EVERY spider, it's definatley a must. Package them up as near to the date of leaving as possible, to reduce time spent in the boxes for your little darlings.

Of course you don't need to post them, just slap the boxes in your car and play posty. Kick them around abit and probe for loose cash if you get stuck in traffic and want to experience the real deal.

SECOND TIP:
Extract all tank substrate, decor and various furnishings. Replace all the substrate when you setthem up, but get a huge box of "decorations" made up, when you unpack and set you bugs up, lucky dip and delve in to see what that lucky spider gets as it's new home!

THIRD TIP:
Pack all electricals seperately, keep them dry etc and safe. Don't want to unpack into your possibly cold house, plug in heating and find it doesn't work/get annhiliated by some killer voltage.

FOURTH TIP:
Keep a check list. Any spider you package, right it down in a list, then tick it as you unpackage and rehome it. This should prevent you loosing any/not noticing them wrappedup within the boxes.

FIFTH TIP:
Set up your spider room/adequate shelving prior to unloading and unpacking if possible.

SIXTH TIP:
Buy yourself a handful of new spiders as "house warming presents". You know you want to :}

Hmm I may publish these on my website ^_^

I havn't moved house in 10 years as of Feb 4th 2004 though, but still I hope the advice is useful :)

webspinner

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well MizM I think that my problem might be a little more hellish, because I'm in the military. You see I gotta ship all of my T's cross country, when I get out:8o I am not looking foward to that.

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
WOW deifiler! You listed things I never would have THOUGHT of!! THANK YOU!!!

As far as being in the military, don't THEY pack everything up and ship it for you?

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
While I know that packing them up as if for mailing is ideal, I have had fine luck in the past just removing everything but the spider and substrate and wedging the kritter keepers in so they're immobile. It could be disastrous if something caused an deceleration such as a near accident but I have been known to be stupid like that.

the new guy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Originally posted by MizM
WOW deifiler! You listed things I never would have THOUGHT of!! THANK YOU!!!

As far as being in the military, don't THEY pack everything up and ship it for you?
it usually isnt the military that does the actual packing. they hire civilian contractors to move your possessions for you. they also arent usually too careful with your stuff either. they scratched an $800 coffee table of mine when they moved my stuff. they also broke the glass of a picture frame. if i were you, i would package the t's yourself and either send them yourself or take them with you in your car. this is the only way you can positively know that the t's are in the best hands possible. only let them move the t's as your absolute last resort.

Nemesis

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
We just moved about 2,000 miles and had great success in transporting the Ts. One thing I did was purchased various sizes of Rx bottles from the phamacy in which to put the spidies. ...along with a damp paper towel. For the huge ones, I used critter keepers etc. I placed the whole lot in a sturdy tack box packed with bubble wrap. Everyone lived and is thriving 6 weeks later.
Congrats on your new digs, and good providence.

Kelly O

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
You guys ROCK! Thanks for all the help!

I actually bought a manufactured home (gee, it has drywall, so it's not called a mobile!) and I'm going to be in a trailer park... I've heard ALL the jokes! No, I'm NOT letting my roots grow out, I AM keeping all of my teeth, I'm NOT going to gain 80 pounds....:rolleyes:

N-E-WAY! I'm going to have one room JUST for recreation, including my Ts. I'm so excited because prior to moving them in, my hubby is going to build shelves to MY specifications, I'm hanging track lighting.. ahhhh, it's going to be awesome!!