Tibal Spurs

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
I always forget which species get tibal spurs as mature males. Are Avicularia versicolor one? I know the other Avicularia do.

Just curious, as my female versicolor almost looks like she has boxing gloves ;) I'm notoriously bad at sexing arboreals, so I'm wondering if I might have been wrong. She seems a bit too small to be mature, either way. She's 3.5 inches.

-Bryan

The Beast

Arachnopeon
Nice male A. versicolor and 3.5 inches, pretty big for a male versicolor. My one was much smaller.

Alex

That what it looks like for me?!?!?!?

Last edited:

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
The Beast- I'm not sure what you're saying. You sound more like you're asking me about this. :confused:

Do A. versicolor get the spurs? Mine doesn't have them.

-Bryan

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
No offense meant, but I'm not asking anyone to sex by the picture I posted. My question is if versicolor have tibal spurs. Does anyone know the answer?

-Bryan

TheWidowsPeak

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
um no I'm not sure, I know my avic avic had spurs so I would assume that all avics have them... now my avic avic's spurs were a little more towards the sides of the legs and not underneath. but sorry I assumed that if you were saking about spurs that you wanted to know what sex it was. and yes it is a male.

"Just curious, as my female versicolor almost looks like she has boxing gloves I'm notoriously bad at sexing arboreals, so I'm wondering if I might have been wrong. She seems a bit too small to be mature, either way. She's 3.5 inches."
and just to be clear this sounds like you are asking us to sex by the picture?

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
Sorry for being unclear. I was talking about the "gloves" as a way to point out why I'm unsure.

My spider has no sign of the spurs, which is why I'm confused. The genital opening looks female. The pedipalps look male. There are no spurs. I'm just confused at this point ;)

I've bred Avicularia sp. before. Both A. avicularia and A. metallica had the spurs.

-Bryan

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
They have the spurs but they're pretty reduced. However, the palpal bulb itself is very prominent so if you're at all in doubt, just check out a ventral view of your versi. Mine moulted out as a mature male about 2 weeks ago or so and while I've not been able to get a close enough look to see the reduced spurs, the bulbs themselves were very obvious.

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
How large was yours, full grown? Also, can you see the spurs at all? Mine isn't showing ANY sign of them. I've been looking closely for hours.

-Bryan

The Beast

Arachnopeon
Hi,

my A. versicolor had spurs and they where easy to find, maybe the size is diffrent from spider to spider , also your one has a lot more hair and they could be reduced caused by a genetic defekt.

So long, Alex

Did your spider molt again after it had already molted to a male?

Deliverme314

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
hmmm male palps and female openings... its a herm!

Sorry... nothing helpful to add...

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
Originally posted by The Beast
Did your spider molt again after it had already molted to a male?
No. It molted today, and this is the first sign of this I've seen.

-Bryan

Aviculariinae

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
My male versicolor matured on the 17th and does not have spurs

Heres a picture of my male

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Avicularia versicolor have tibial apophyses (spurs), but the size varies between individual spiders. They are very "bushy" spiders, so the spurs are not always clear.

All male spiders have palpal emboli (bulbs, boxing gloves etc)

They also tend to walk with the pedipalps "outstretched"

Your versicolor is a mature male.

deifiler

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Here's a picture of my mature male A.Aviculaira... You can hardly notice the apophyses on this.

I should think the versi has them

greensleeves

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
According to this: http://www.bighairyspiders.com/pic_versicolor.shtml versis do have tibial spurs, they're just really small, and, as someone said, hard to notice amidst all the fuzz.

I don't know anything yet, but it's hard to miss the boxing gloves. I'd start looking for females so you can be a grandpappy! =D

Please, please breed - the world needs more cute lil' versis! :D

Greensleeves

greensleeves

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Originally posted by Lopez
They also tend to walk with the pedipalps "outstretched"
Bwahaha! Typical male - so proud of his "equipment" he wants to show it off! "Lookit these palps, baby, aren't I just the studliest thing?" =D

Greensleeves

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
Originally posted by greensleeves
Please, please breed - the world needs more cute lil' versis! :D
Don't worry. I'm really starting to realize that this is a beautiful little boy (I still can't believe how small he is). I've already talked with the guy I bred my A. metallica with (successfully). We should have some teenie blue babies in the near future :)

-Bryan

The Beast

Arachnopeon
Hi,

because you still can't believe how small he is I have got to tell you that my friends A. versicolor molted out as male in a little box and not in a terrarium because the spider was still too small to rehouse it.:p

So long, Alex