would a kritter keeper be escape proof enough for a cobalt blue?

Telson

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I would think yes on the escape proof part, but they really need a deeper substrate than a K-keeper allows for IMO. For a fair amount less $$ than a decent sized K-keeper costs at a pet store you can get a tupperware, or similar type container, that is taller than it is wide and allows for deep burrowing with a tight fitting lid. You can use a soldering iron or a sharp knife to make ventilation holes, which I think a K-keeper has too much ventilation for this species as well. The T will probably do a lot better in something like that and it's what I'm using for mine. You won't see it much one way or the other, except for insomia checks.

xBurntBytheSunx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
if i can find a rubbermaid container that i can see through clearly i'll take that into consideration.

i know i won't see it much, but the idea of having a t that looks that brilliant and with that bad of an attitude is really appealing for some reason. i may see it every now and then (i don't go to bed till 3 or 4 a.m. most nights)

Deliverme314

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
You can see it in its burrow... just scrape the web off the side every once in a while... just dont use your finger;)

chuck

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
KK has a tall tank, but i dont think itll be good for a full grown burrower.

MrFeexit

Arachnodork
Old Timer
I use a 10 gallon tank...about 9 bucks and a lid. Works great plenty of burrowing space and you can look up at the bottom of the tank to see the tunnels

ArachnoPapa

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
At walmart they sell deep and wide enough, very see through tupper ware. It is 3.97 for what I am talking about and has a heavy blue lid with a clamp type securing on the lid.

heyjeyniceid

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
get a 10 gallon for 9.99

its cheapor than a Kritter Keeper and allows the best visibility.

Screen lids I believe cost around 8.99

xBurntBytheSunx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i guess my question now is, if i a cobalt is in its burrow do i need to worry about it running out when i lift up the lid to mist and feed it?

Deliverme314

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Originally posted by xBurntBytheSunx
i guess my question now is, if i a cobalt is in its burrow do i need to worry about it running out when i lift up the lid to mist and feed it?
not at all... at least with mine. That is their sanctuary... like all T's tehya re defensive... not aggressive. that means the first course of action is down into retreat as opposed to up and out. It will be a VERY rare thing for it to be actually out of its burrow at all. Mine has yet to come out once. And I watch late at night quite often...

MrFeexit

Arachnodork
Old Timer
When you get to see them ahhhhhh pretty, kinda like seeing a celebrity. Mine waiths at the burow opening graps her food and "blink" gone

Frostbyte

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ha , Ha this is my territory ! When I got my Cobalt I had her in a critter keeper. She was nasty , when I tried to feed her she went nuts , even when refilling her water. So , I got a plastic file box . Deep enough , but the plastic got "hazy" from the humidity. ( Bad Idea , in my opinion! ) So I got a 10 gallon tank screen ( locking ) lid and coverd that with a cut piece of plexi-glass . ( holds the humidity in ) Now ... I never see her ! she built this kick-ass web volcano that runs under ground . If I lift the tank I can see her . I do see her once in a blue moon in the opening of the volcano. But she doesnt "snap" at me when I feed her , or refill her water. This makes her and I " Very Happy !" Good Luck ! ;P

vulpina

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
A Kritter Keeper would work, but I agree you should get a 10 gallon tank with a locking lid.

Andy

xBurntBytheSunx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i probably get a deep tupperware thingy if i end up getting one. i want there to be as much space between me and the little blue demon as possible when i'm feeding her.