HELP--molting

Bloodletting

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It is now 9:30 Eastern time Wednesday morning. My Bracyphelma smithi has been on its back for at least 2 hours now with no change. I have her in my classroom so I am not sure when she took this position. Last I saw her, yesterday 4:00, she was up.

How long should I go before I begin to worry, she is alive, I am certain. I have the hot water running in the sink to add humidity to the air in the room. Her last molt was in June of this year.

I had her since she was 1/4 inch, fed her fruit flies and I really don't want to lose her. This is the first molt I have been worried about with any of my tarantulas. Although I am excited to see her in this position and may be able to see the molting process, I am worried it is taking too long.

I have always wanted to see one molt but now I am glad I usually walk in after the molts take place. Who know how long some took. Any advice?????

Thanks,

Scott

rosehaired1979

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Just leave her be ! Just make sure the humditity is fine in her and make sure there is nothing can harm her in the tank. You don't want to touch her or stress her even more than she is stressed right now. So be patient she will be ok :)

stu

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I wouldnt worry - ive only caught any of my T's moulting twice, I normally miss it too.

I think that they can lie on their backs for hours before they 'pop' their carapace and start the moult.

Just leave the little fella to it and dont disturb him,

hope he is fine,

cheers,

Stu.

ArachnoPapa

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi,

No worries:) , In my home I have 90 Tarantulas of all ages. Nearly every one has molted in the last two months. I have smithi's also. Just so you know they seem to have taken longer (a few hours) to begin the final molting, once they turn on there back and they get older. Of course this may not always be true. My Chaco molted last week to nearly 3 inches and took 3 1/2 hours to physicaly show me the movements. Do you have a video cam? It is worth it, keep on eye on him, once the more visuable movements happens it will only takes minutes. I bet 22 minutes, $20.00. Juust joking. Dont worry smithi's dont need alot of humidity, warmth is more important. Let nature take its course and dont help.

Bloodletting

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
10:45

Well it is 11:00 and no change. Every now and again I see a very minute move. That's it. I am waiting to see any change. Thanks for the advice, that helps, I just don't feel very positive at this point.

Mendi

Arachnowolf
Old Timer
It seems like forever before they actually start molting, and being flat on their back does look so "wrong". I've had 1 or 2 laying this way for close to 8 hours. I did stay up and watch, and got some nice pictures. Once they start breaking free, it doesn't take that long... But, I'm full of worry and anxiety when I find them on their backs as well. I'd rather the molt without me catching the act. It's easier on my nerves :)

vulpina

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I would leave the spider alone, some molts can take hours and hours. I have had a few of mine molt this week, my Ephebopus uatuman, Brachypelma ruhnaui, Bonnetina cyaneifemur, and Pterinochilus murinus. My Citharschius crawshayi and Brachypelma smithi are currently on their backs and my Psalmopoeus reduncans should molt this week.

Andy