Can tarantulas throw up???

Pixie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'd appreciate any thoughts on this as it seems that one of my Ts has puked somewhat! I don't know what else it could be.

I fed 4 of my Ts pinky rats this weeks as I had 3 moms drop big litters and a few Ts that were due for a good meal. Since I've also read here many times that a T cannot overeat and die that way, I figured no harm if it was a bit bigger of a meal than they are used to.

All seem to be doing just fine and VERY fat! But my a. anax who is hanging of the side of her tank has a streak of clear liquid on the glass starting almost exactly where her mouth is and ending on the substrate in a little cumulative. In all, it doesn't seem like much liquid came out, I would guess no more than 1cc.

Since it's starting from very close to her mouth, I can only think that she regurged a bit of "matter".

Is this possible?
If so, why???
Is it possibly because she had eaten too much and something had to give and come out?

I am a bit worried as she is one of my favorite Ts... She is about 3 1/2" to 4" and otherwise in good shape. My T. blondi who is a bit smaller who also got a rat pink is fine and hasn't shown the same symptom...

Any ideas??

Thanks,
Pixie

Pixie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Pheewww!

Thanks for putting my mind at ease :) I was getting a bit worried there.

Interesting phenomenon this "drooling", I would love to know more about it but it seems that no one really knows what's going on when a T does this.

Would be interesting to have the liquid analyzed to know if it contains any digestive juices or venom to know the source of it and I guess figure out more what it's all about.

Pixie

Spike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I think as long as it is clear and not white or chunky you should be okay

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It's actually a secretion from either the coxal or cheliceral gland, nothing to worry about. A little is known about the coxal gland, but nothing is known of the cheliceral gland.

Hope this helps,
Steve

Pixie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi Steve,

Yes, that info is very helpful! :) I will definitely be reading up more on these glands and other parts of tarantula anatomy and biology. I find these creatures absolutely fascinating to study.

Thanks,
Pixie

P.S. You wouldn't happen to know a Dannie (sorry, not sure of the spelling).

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Originally posted by Pixie

P.S. You wouldn't happen to know a Dannie (sorry, not sure of the spelling).
I'm not Steve, but I do happen to know that he Dannye's husband :)

Scott