PDA

View Full Version : molt,

Cheesy
05-13-2010, 05:13 PM
what do spiders do after a molt? like behaviorwise....
is it normal for them to stretch their legs long out an lay there for a while????

Terry D
05-13-2010, 05:25 PM
Cheesy, I don't often note the "pokie stance" you seem to be referring to following a molt, although any of my spiders will do that here and there. The most frequent post-molt stance they show is scrunched-up and hiding the prosoma for at least a short period of time after righting themselves- :8o?. Cheers,
Terry.

Redneck
05-13-2010, 05:50 PM
Actually most of mine only do the "pokie stance" post molt.. After a month or so.. They wont do the "pokie stance" as often..

Being stretched out like that is completely normal after a molt..

mhill
05-13-2010, 06:06 PM
Several species I have kept have done the "Pokie Stretch" for a few days after molting. I have seen this in B. smithi, G. rosea, G. pulchra, and N. chromatus to name a few. I even had one female G. rosea that did it constantly...I jokingly referred to her as my P. rosea quite often.

Cheesy
05-13-2010, 06:07 PM
thanks guys. this is the first successful molt, my avic died in molt and im just kinda worried. but this is a good spider. :]

mOtOjUnKiE
05-13-2010, 08:12 PM
My G. Pulchra sling that I caught molting, after it was completely out of the old body, it stayed on its back stretching its legs for a few hours..I'm guessing trying to gain some strength back or something...maybe keep the joints from hardening up? I dunno why they do it, but its so cool to watch :)