Cheaper elsewhere vs. instant gratification...

greensleeves

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Okay, folks, here's my dilemma.

My local petstore, the same one I got Aggie from, also has a nice little juvie a. seemanni which looks to be in good health. This little T has been there for months, and is one of an original group of three that included an avicularia (sold first to some other lucky schmuck), and Aggie, the rosea that I bought.

They are selling this juvie for $39 CAD, so around $29-something US, I think.

But I can get seemanni slings for $5 each from my dealer.

The problem is: he's two hours away, the petstore is 15 minutes away, and no other stores I can find in my city actually carry Ts on the floor - they can special order them, but what's the point? Shipping is not an issue though, as the dealer regularly travels to my city and is willing to do drop offs.

Then there is the issue of watching the sling grow vs luck of the draw with a full grown adult. I was lucky with Aggie, she's a total sweetheart, but when I was examining the little seemanni before, he seemed kind of withdrawn. Of course his colours were a lot brighter this time when I went to look at him so I think he was in premolt, which would explain a lot - Bungee gets sullen in his premolt stage too, so I'd have to test the juvie's personality again to see if it was relatively calm, or thinks it's a Usambara. :D

Thoughts? Pontifications? Orations?

Greensleeves

PapaSmurf

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
i'd take the 2 hour trip over paying 40 bucks for a a.seemani juvie when most pet store will get them in at almost adult size/to adult for 20-30 at the most. i got my newest a.seemani from thepet store for 16.99 on sale and she is just at 5", but its up to the person buying i guess, but i'd go with the slings for 5.

Josh

Mendi

Arachnowolf
Old Timer
And remember most all Aphonpelma spp growth rate can be called "glacial." A seemanni would be one IME that matches that descriptions... But if you can get the larger one and a $5 sling too. :cool:

sunnymarcie

Celestial Spider
Old Timer
I'd make arrangements to meet with the dealer half way.
(Pick a place to meet) That way you both travel the same distance.
I personally would not pay that much for a seemani unless
there was no other way to get one:) And I get more out of
raising the T's from slings anyway:)

abstract

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
If it's colored well, decently behaved, and FEMALE - i'd buy the one at the petstore.

---If it's a good display species, and already has a good size on it, you won't have to wait a good while to have a good looking T you can show off.
---If it's female, it's got a lot of life in front of it.....
---Slings can be a slight pain to feed, if you're not used to feeding them (depending on what kind/size of prey they take)

I'm an impatient type, and if I could get a good-looking good-sized slow-growing female at a "reasonable" price, i'd do it. In fact, that's how I got mine (although I thought it was a PZB, but that's another story)

vulpina

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I would also say if the one at the petstore is female go for it.

Andy