A. avicularia behaviour

stu

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ive had my avic for a while now but noticed wierd behaviour with him,

He has so far made no webbing in his tank and seems to spend most of his time in the bottom corner of the tank. Anyone know the reasons for this? I thought they would live up at the top of the tank - he has a peice of cork in their which reaches the top of the tank.

He seems to be doing alright - he has a great appetite and eats everything I throw in there for him.

I think I read that they only web when coming up to a moult? Is this true?

He is my first arboreal T so Im not too sure on what behaviour to expect.

cheers,

Stu.

krtrman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i currently have 2 avic avics. both of mine have retreats they have made at the top of their enclosures but seem to enjoy wandering around. my smaller avic spends most of her time near the middle to lower half of her enclosure. they do web when they near a molt but this should be a complete funnel with only one entrance. this is just my experience. i wouldnt worry as long as she eats and has acess to water. how long have you had her? it might take a few weeks to adjust to new surroundings.

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hi Stu

My juvenile A. avicularia used to web all the time as a spiderling. As he got larger and gained his green colours, he webs less, generally only doing so a few weeks before a moult :)

Longbord1

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Stu same with mine it just sort of hangs out on the floor i built a little tube for him and chased him in it now he hangs out in that and no where else he neve leaves!!! hes a real wierdo
'mike

vulpina

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
As long as it is eating well, I wouldn't worry too much, different T's exhibit different behavior. My P. irminia burrowed for the longest time then went on to act normal.

Andy

stu

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
cheers, for the replies -

yeah, he still eats well so I guess he's just wierd, maybe he thinks hes a terrestrial T

He's about 3 to 4 inch I think so I guess he'll start to web before he's about to moult then.

cheers,

Stu.