heh heh, OBT?

rapunzel

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
more like a lil hole in the ground.
I recently got a 1/2 inch usambara and was prepared for one the fiesty lil beasties that I have researched and read about.
But, it webbed up the corner of its container, and built a fortress underground. I put a tiny tiny tiny cricket in there, but I do not know if it has been eaten yet. Definetly hasnt developed a fearless attitude yet.
But, I'll wait.
um....
How fast do they grow? What size do they get their 'tudes?

MrFeexit

Arachnodork
Old Timer
That is a matter of much discussion here. I have two orange phase and one dodoma and they are all hiders. I rarely see them out of their holes and when they do they scamper right back in. The onl time I got any defense out of one was when I was trying to peek into her home.

PapaSmurf

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
i got an obt and a dodoma or forthall baboon my forthall isnt aggressive really but my obt is quick to threaten me, most obts do just webb up a corner(or the whole cage) they get up to about 4-5" inchs at most the grow real fast and at about 2-3" inchs your should be pain hehe we had a 1/2" sling for awhile molted a few times then one day i was feeding him he ran outta his container and i never seen him again, watch the little guy good, at that size it'll take him nothing to slip away from ya.
they are fun but i dont seem to have much luck with em.

Josh

rapunzel

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
i have it in a container within a container.

I wasnt taking any chances!
I have it set up in a small container, within a large gallon size container, both with airholes. I just checked, and the cricket is gone so it mustve either came out and snatched it up or the cricket wandered down into the hole.
I cant wait for it to grow.
I am very impatient with slings...but mainly because of feeding them. The thought of getting PARTS off a large cricket grosses me out completely, and even squishing one is too much for me..so I drove WAYYYYYYYYY out of my way today to get pinhead sized crickets.

MrFeexit

Arachnodork
Old Timer
I just fed my larger one a roach that was almost as big as she is..and she wrecked it!

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Re: i have it in a container within a container.

Originally posted by rapunzel
I wasnt taking any chances!
I have it set up in a small container, within a large gallon size container, both with airholes. I just checked, and the cricket is gone so it mustve either came out and snatched it up or the cricket wandered down into the hole.
I cant wait for it to grow.
I am very impatient with slings...but mainly because of feeding them. The thought of getting PARTS off a large cricket grosses me out completely, and even squishing one is too much for me..so I drove WAYYYYYYYYY out of my way today to get pinhead sized crickets.

Hi Kim,
It wont be feeding on pins for long. They grow very fast.
I bought 5, 1/2" slings about 6 months ago, and their 2, 2 1/2" already. I think their the fastest growing T I've had yet. And you can't remove the skincasts, cause they're webbed in, which is kind of cool.

IMO, their hiders, not fighters..;)

Ernie

PapaSmurf

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
hehe mine never webbed thier skins up but i dont reach in and get them till they have carryed them around for a week and dropped them in a corner so i can reach in and grab it.

Josh

Iktomi

Arachnoservant
Old Timer
Mine have grown very quickly. Mine also didn't get their "attitude" until around 2". At this point, it was a whole different spider, let me tell you.
Most of them that I've seen burrow as slings and sometimes juvies. Adults do as well, but usually make an aboreal setup. You won't have to wait for long. For now, just enjoy the little guy thinking he's a trap door spider. It's fun to watch your crickets disappear under the ground in an orange blur.
-Damon

vulpina

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Give it a little time, they grow fairly quickly and will develop an awesome feeding response.

Andy

sunnymarcie

Celestial Spider
Old Timer
Feeding response AHOY!:D

Mine are at about the 2 inch mark, maybe a little more.
They attack their food no matter its size. And they molt
almost on a monthy basis.
Both have built massive burrows and only come up for
food and water. Just the other day I put one of them into
a new enclosure. Its posted in another thread that I am to lazy
to go and get for you:)
Both of them only come out in the evening or when it is very overcast, never durring the day. They keep to themselves
until you open their tanks:eek: