P. murinus or lugardi?

stu

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
ok people, I bought this T as P. murinus but have been told it looks more like P. lugardi

I thought I'd post a better pic though and see what people think.

whats the difference between these 2 T's and what are you looking at to make a decision?

cheers,

Stu.

Angelo

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i had the exact same question, some people said it was a p. lugardi, and some people said it was a light color form of a p. murinus:

Attachments

avmaviator

Arachnosquire
Old Timer

I would say its not a murinus. I'm not going to say that it is a lugardi for sure (because i don't know much on that specie). Compared to mine OBT, she is lighter in color as you mentioned, and the patterns on the abdomen is different ( i don't know if the pattern stay similar within species but my obt has more of a tight triangle pattern), so thats what i would say, somebody correct me if i'm wrong ;)

Arno

Guido

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i have a P.lugardi, and the colors are exact to mine.

Longbord1

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I think P lugardi also has yellow or white stripes on its knees so urs looks like one to me
mike

Guy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'd also say P. lugardi.
Colouration and the lack of any real 'starburst' pattern on the carapace are the first keys to guessing an ID with these two species (although these cannot be used alone). Next time it moults, try looking at the spermathecae lining. P. lugardi has well defined lobes whereas P. murinus doesn't. This shouldn't be too difficult with larger specimens...

T.Raab

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
hi,

i would also say, that your spider is a pterinochilus lugardi, here also some pix of mine lugardi.

greetings
T.R

Angelo

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
wait, are you guys saying that stu's spider is a p. lugari, or mine is, or both of ours? im a little confused. thanks for a reply.

T.Raab

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
@angelo

i meant only the spider for Stu, your pix is not very good and i doesnt want to speculate so much, i hopeyou understand.

greetings
T.R

stu

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
cheers for the replies people :)

guy, yeah - the T doesnt have that 'starburst' pattern on his carapace - from pics ive looked at on the net the abdominal patterning is different too yeah?

seems like P. lugardi is more mellow than murinus from what ive read - the little fella sure isnt a 'bitey thing'

hopefully I'll be able to pick up an usumbara from the show in december - I fancy a T with a bit of attitude :)

cheers,

Stu.

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
P lugardi also dig more, are often considered a bit more desirable/valuable, and some people find them harder to keep alive. My own certainly has a unique talent for damaging legs. Oh, and it may grow a fair bit slower than murinus as well.

Did it come from a certain UK online "Bug Store"? If so then there's a very good chance it is a lugardi rather than a murinus.

stu

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
lopez,

I bought it from a exotic pet shop in manchester - not from online. The guy who works there seems pretty knowledgable about T's too - he himself has a big collection at home.

So they burrow more too? should I put more substrate in the tank then? he only has about 1 inch and a cork bark hide that he has webbed up.

harder to keep alive too? any tips on how I do this - up till now I have been keeping him like P. murinus as that's what I bought him as.

I think the little fella is doing ok as he is as he eats like a horse - but i'd like to be sure.

cheers,

Stu.

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Originally posted by stu
lopez,

I bought it from a exotic pet shop in manchester - not from online. The guy who works there seems pretty knowledgable about T's too - he himself has a big collection at home.

So they burrow more too? should I put more substrate in the tank then? he only has about 1 inch and a cork bark hide that he has webbed up.

harder to keep alive too? any tips on how I do this - up till now I have been keeping him like P. murinus as that's what I bought him as.

I think the little fella is doing ok as he is as he eats like a horse - but i'd like to be sure.

cheers,

Stu.
I think I know the shop, I've been there a few times if it's the one I think it is.

Yes, mine certainly webs less and digs more than murinus. Give it a bit more earth and some bark, it will soon make itself at home.

Keeping it like murinus should work fine, they just don't seem as hardy as murinus (murinus are virtually bomb-proof as pets), and are less adept at climbing.

Feed it well and keep it reasonably dry and it will be happy as long as it can hide somewhere :)

stu

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
cheers lopez,

you thinking of the shop on Tib street or the one near the Apollo?

I'll add a bit more substrate when I get back from work tonight.

He does seem fine with climbing though - he freaked out last time I opened his tank to feed him and ran straight up the side of the tank and sat there for maybe an hour.

cheers,

Stu.

stu

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
oh, by the way - is the common name for P. lugardi 'forthall baboon'?

cheers,

Stu.