humidity and molting

eleven_68

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I am having a problem with my T that is due for a molt. She is spinning her "cradle" and everything seems to be progressing fine. Her patches of missing hairs (urticating) are darkening and she's growing more aggressive (she's missing a leg as well). The problem is that I can't keep the humidity above 50% for longer than 24 hours.

The humidity varies from 85% directly after I refill the water dish and make it "rain" with my misting bottle to 40%, 24 or less hours later.

Last night/this morning at about 2 AM it "rained" and the humidity was back to 45% by 5 PM today, a mere 15 hours later.

I am measuring this humidity from the air vents at the top of the cage because I don't want to put the hygrometer inside with my T. I'm afraid it will stress her out.

Please let me know if the hygrometer being outside would make that big of a difference and also if I need to or could do anything other that a daily misting to make the cage more humid. I don't want to create an environment that is fungus and bacteria friendly, but at the same time I want to help my Tarantula through her first molt after losing her leg.

Thanks!

pelo

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
The whole humidity issue with molting is way over exaggerated.The most important thing for a successful molt is making sure your spider is hydrated..meaning it's had constant access to a drinking water source during normal times.A dehydrated spider will have problems molting.The spiders excrudes a fluid under the skin prior to molt.Works in two ways.It will help soften the outer skin and generate pressure to split the skin open for shedding.Properly hydrated prior to molting and the spider should have no problems molting.A dehydrated spider may not be able to produce enough of this fluid and plus be weak from being dehydrated lowering the odds for a successful molt.So as long as your spider has been drinking well and is good and hydrated prior to molt it should molt just fine.No need to worry about having such high humidity levels during molting.I've had many successful molts on bone dry substrate with RH values way lower than 60%.About the only time I'm concerned with RH values is with very small slings that don't have access to drinking dishes.Even then with periodic mistings for drinking purposes they should be fine.Very small slings can dessicate much quicker then bigger spiders so a decent RH value will help prevent dessication.A good regime for successful molts...keep your spider well hydrated during the periods between molts.peace..

Last edited:

sunnymarcie

Celestial Spider
Old Timer
The whole humidity issue with molting is way over exaggerated
I'll have to agree with this statement. I have 20 T's various
species and all (except for slings) are kept bone dry.
I've not had any molting problems at this point.
I think that as long as you keep a good sized dish of
water available the T should do just fine. :)

vulpina

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have had T's for a long time and the humidity issue is overrated.

Andy