Danger!!!!!! Horror!!!!!!!

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Is my Lillan dying?? Dead?? WHY? :(

She, ('homoeomma sp.', 'cobalt redrump') has always, since I got her around May, been wanting to eat sometimes, and sometimes not, but always sort of wandered around.Sometimes she stayed in her pot in the night or day, sometimes just for a couple of hours at a time. Yesterday I think, or the day before, she went into her pot. Nothing unusual in that. She hasn't eaten anything in a month or two, but again, she's never exactly been a lion .

Today, I noticed that she wasn't around outside her pot as usual. Looking inside in the relative dark, I saw a huddled shape in there. Fear quickly beginning to take shape, I just now took her petpal down and shone inside with a lamp. She is sort of laying on the ground, with her legs on her sides, sort of like usual. They are not spread out far to the sides, as usual when T's are resting belly-to-ground, but they are not curled underneath her either.

I tried blowing on her, no response. I tried poking her with a pen, no response.
She has been acting kind of sluggish lately, but she at least stalked the cricket I threw in a week ago, even if she neer pounced(this is her usual behaviour when she doesn't want to eat). I touched her then with a pen and she whirled around like lightning and went for it. Just before or after I found her in her very empty waterbowl, looking accusingly at me. That was quickly redeemed though, and she moved out if it when I refilled.

At first I thought she was about to molt, but now I fear she's dead as a stone...oh jingizu.. :(

Last edited:

eleven_68

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'm not an expert, but if she doesn't respond to touch or blowing on her then I would say she is dead or really sick. That's just my assumption though because of what I have read and seen. I suppose there may also be a reasonable explanation for this, but I am not sure what that could be. Maybe a molt could be to blame???

I hope she's ok! Keep us updated! Best wishes.

Last edited:

PapaSmurf

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
molting maybe dont poke at her till tomarrow mist her cage good BUT DONT POKE HER AGAIN! if she is molting you could kill her.
sorry to sound mean but i dont think you wanna hurt your T do you?

Josh

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Not going to poke her again no...eventhough I'm fairly certain she crawled in to die, I'll wait until tomorrow to see for sure I guess.
But, why wouldn't she tuck her legs in under her body ? :/

I guess the title made you think of a 12-year-old or so, but I just could not in all my sorrow resist making reference to Kid Icarus. Maybe when that game was at its peak Lillan was still alive and kicking on some grassy plain in south America... :(

PapaSmurf

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
it is odd but ive seen 2 of T's do before a molt they come out of there skin upright my chacos sling did i thought he was dead i was gonna put him in the trash i came back and he was half way outta. my H.gigas has did it also came out upright and kinda on the side how big is she? if shes big give her 24 hours, it could be her molting or could be death, but with a T like that i be sure its dead before throwing it away or burying it or what ever you do with your dead T's, and if it is dead sorry bout your loss.

Josh

chuck

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
i believe it was the all-knowing CM who told me that Ts go into a "death curl" when theyre dehydrated. so a death by nematodes or this yeast that has been affecting a few of us would not have a T go into a death curl. any chance you saw or are able to see any white crud near/on the mouth or anus?

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
No, I haven't seen anything like that.
Only kind of flakes or something on her abdomen's urticating patch..looks like the kind of yellow flakes kids (and I) get..that hasn't bothered her before though :/

Will not take any action until tomorrow though.

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well...it's almost noon now...and Lillan is still very dead-looking..... :( Just out of curiosity..how long can a T lact dead before molting? Do they at all? Haven't seen it in my others exactly, they'd always become annoyed when I poked them as they were about to molt... :(

PapaSmurf

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
id say she is dead, it has been awhile and if she isnt molting yet shes dead.

josh

chuck

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
do you see any seperation where the old skin would pop off?

Wh1teshark

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Nice to see some referances to the good old 8-bit game.

I really hope that your spider get's well!

/David

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Vys
Well...it's almost noon now...and Lillan is still very dead-looking..... :( Just out of curiosity..how long can a T lact dead before molting? Do they at all? Haven't seen it in my others exactly, they'd always become annoyed when I poked them as they were about to molt... :(
From what you're describing, it sounds an awful lot like just natural (to whatever extent) passing of old age.
It's certainly a shame to lose such a beautiful and rare species but it goes with the territory, particularly with w/c's.
I hope like hell she's not dead and maybe just being a wierdo or something. If it is her time, my condolences.

Best of luck.

Atrax

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well, dead as a drumnail... :/

What are the chances of getting a spider that so old it's close to its 'natural' death?? I mean WC is a risk yes, but I have never seen any CB cobalt redrumps..

Her abdomen is a shade darker than usual I think, and like a ballon filled to 3/4ths with water. Like an old grape :(

I see no white crust anywhere, nor any signs of injury. No signs of any skin about to shed either, unless the possibly slightly darker-than-usual abdomen is that.

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Vys
Well, dead as a drumnail... :/

What are the chances of getting a spider that so old it's close to its 'natural' death?? I mean WC is a risk yes, but I have never seen any CB cobalt redrumps..

That's too bad. :(

I have no idea what the odds are but in my experience with a couple hundred T's or so, I've seen it 4 or 5 times. Pretty unusual but at the same time, the adult specimens are probably easier to collect in the wild than the little juvies. The older the specimen, the larger it'll be. The larger it is, the easier to locate when collecting.

Just out of curiosity, how long have you had that T? Probably a couple years, no? It's been some time since those were imported.

Atrax

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Since May. I'm in Sweden.

Thanks for the sympathy. She's buried now in quite alien soil.

Last edited: