The B. smithi that started it all.....

Scylla

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
This is the 20 year old girl that got me started. I met her this past summer, and it was love. She's not mine, but she was the first spider I ever met and she was a gentle lady. I was completely won over.

Longbord1

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
hello fellow new yorker that is some beut is she really 20 years old? where in ny do u live and welcome to the boards!!!!
mike:D

Scylla

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hi Mike!

Yes, she is 20, at least. I'm in Brooklyn, the culture capital and heart of civilization in the known world. I've just joined the boards and I'm learning the ropes. I started this month with no T's, and I now have 4, of 3 species. I'm thinking of an A. versicolor next. That picture TheEternal posted was amazing. I'm just wondering if I can cope with an arboreal.

Where on the Island are you?

chuck

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
FINALLY ANOTHER BROOKLYNITE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
dont get much of us around here, mainly b/c the hobby is illegal. that B.smithi looks like it could use a few fuzzies ;P

greensleeves

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Originally posted by Scylla
I'm just wondering if I can cope with an arboreal.
Well, my first spider ever was an Avicularia geroldi, and it wasn't so bad. After holding my little spiderling, any other type of tarantula seemed like it had overdosed on valium. :D

The main thing about avics, IMHO, is they jump. Even being prepared for their rambunctious ways, that was the thing that surprised me most. But once I got used to the way the spider moved, I felt a lot more comfortable. Just be aware of how fast they are. The first time I held it which was mostly accidentally, it ran up *under* my tank top in the back. Fortunately it decided to take the direct route straight out to the other side and down my other arm... =D

So yes, prone to unexpected bursts of speed, and to jumping. Just don't breathe on your avic and you'll have won half the battle there, at least in my experience. ;)

Don't expect a nice relaxed spider that will wander around over you while watching TV. You can still hold an Avic, but your attention should be centred on *holding the Avic*. Having them jump from hand to hand is wonderfully soothing, and most people, from what I've read here, tend to find theirs are more interested in running away than threat posing or biting. There are different personalities to each spider, even within the same species, of course.

Welcome to the hobby, and enjoy all your fuzzy eight-legged buddies! :)

Greensleeves

Scylla

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
How many NYers are there on this list? Do we have events? Are there any upcoming shows?

chuck

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
How many NYers are there on this list? Do we have events? Are there any upcoming shows?

the closest show is in whiteplains
heres a link to their site SHOW

crawshayi

Arachnopeon
my first spider

my first was a red knee what i had for 2 weeks. then i was made to get rid of it becuse my dad was scird of it. and i was only 7 but about 4 weeks later i got a Citharischius crawshayi (king baboon) brot by my dad for me. and my mun liked that one the man was one of my dads frends and it was a female that was 4 years old at about 4" captive born. the guy had it from a spdierling he told me to put it into substrae about 3/4 of the thank. and i khow its alot for a 7 year old but i have been bort up whith these sort of things. and i still have her today she is over 9" naw and a big adult female and is my fav spider.

Longbord1

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Scylla i live in port washington arboreals are great but u should really start with a Pinktoe or avic avic which i have heard are a bit more docile i have one and she is so nice .by the way there are alot of new yorkers here hey maybe all of us could have a spider party in the city or something?
mike=D

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
"police police illegal spide party bust em up they got those creepy crawlie thigns that can kill us!!" I coudl just see it in the papers lol

nemesis6sic6

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Re: my first spider

Originally posted by crawshayi
my first was a red knee what i had for 2 weeks. then i was made to get rid of it becuse my dad was scird of it. and i was only 7 but about 4 weeks later i got a Citharischius crawshayi (king baboon) brot by my dad for me. and my mun liked that one the man was one of my dads frends and it was a female that was 4 years old at about 4" captive born. the guy had it from a spdierling he told me to put it into substrae about 3/4 of the thank. and i khow its alot for a 7 year old but i have been bort up whith these sort of things. and i still have her today she is over 9" naw and a big adult female and is my fav spider.
what a cute story....C. crawshayi and the kid I call it - would make a great movie. C. crawshayi is an awesome species by the way.

I miss my female :(

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
This is the 20 year old girl that got me started. I met her this past summer, and it was love. She's not mine, but she was the first spider I ever met and she was a gentle lady. I was completely won over.
Same for me.:)
I walked into a ladys house who had a B. smithi in a 20 gal. tank. She told me how sweet it was, and from that day on, I knew I had to have one. The only problem was, I couldn't find one anywhere. No internet yet or online dealer to buy from.:(

So one day on the way to Carlsbad caverns, I stopped in a pet store in New Mexico and found a G. rosea.
And as they say, the rest is history. BTW, I named her Carla, after the Caverns..:p
It took me another 12 years to get a B. smithi..

Welcome to the group,
Ernie