Celestial Spider
Old Timer
I can't believe what I saw just a little while ago:mad:

Went out to get a few things at the pet shop, went to
one that I usually avoid at all cost~Rapunzel you know the one~

Well, of course I have to look at ALL of the animals including
the few T's they do have...........

Picked up the items I needed and went to see the T's
and to my horror I saw a A. seemani with maggots on its back:eek: Flies in the tank too:(
The kicker here is I told the guy 2 weeks ago that something
was wrong with this T and HE DID NOTHING! Now all of the animals near it including a rather large scorpion are in danger.

Totally sick!:mad:

Enough said:mad:

the new guy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i know how you feel. until a few weeks ago, the petco near me had a lot of problems taking care of the reptiles/inverts. they always had no water, no matter how much i complained about it. the enclosures were all very filthy also. i dont think it ever got to the point of infestation of insects, but im sure it was pretty close. they hired this new guy a couple of weeks ago and it has completely turned around now. he has a lot of exotic pets himself, and he cares about the animals that they sell. sometimes, thats all it takes.

PapaSmurf

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
thats awful i had maggots in a cage once but not on the T soon as i spot them i get the T out and clean the hell outta the cage! see wih like my P.murinus i really cant get the old eaten cricket corpse out because she is protective of them ? and i have to catch her drinking or cleaning herself, and that was the only time i've had to get them out* them did you tell the pet store about this?

Josh

rosehaired1979

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Knows how ya feel we went to a pet shop in a near by town thats 30 mins from us and we saw a possible 7" to 9" T.Blondi Female in a 10 gal tank that T.Blondi was so stressed out she was losing hair on her legs and by the look of the store they had nothing bigger.

chuck

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
i remember going to my petco one time and they were working their asses off to clean everything b/c their regional mngr was coming in for an inspection. maybe a friendly call to the regional mngr will get results?

sunnymarcie

Celestial Spider
Old Timer
I'd like to be able to call someone about it, this is a private shop.
The T's are not the only ones with problems. The entire place
is gross:(
I know the people who own it too. They use to care about the animals, now its the money. And even from that point of view
it seems that they still don't care.
I told the owner about it and they did nothing.
I plan on going there again today to see if they did anything about it. I already know what I will see. Just the one T will
be gone and everything else will be the same. Dirty cages and all:mad:

chuck

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
shouldnt there be a gov't agency that could do something? like the ASPCA or something

vulpina

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm sure you could call someone to check on the animals. The conditions they are kept in, etc. Good luck and I hope you get this resolved.

Andy

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by chuck
shouldnt there be a gov't agency that could do something? like the ASPCA or something
They would probably check on bad conditions for dogs and cats etc. but I don't believe there are any laws protecting inverts...or reptiles for that matter.
Course, you could always just throw a handful of maggots in the shop keepers face. Prolly make him think a bit.

Atrax

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I went into one of our local Petco's and all the B. smithi's were in enclosures that had soil that was so wet that water would drain off to the sides when tilted. One spider was already dead from it.
I asked the guy in charge if he'd ever been to Mexico, and if it was wet or dry? He said, Ah, dry? I asked him why the T's were kepted in swamp-like enclosures then?
Anyway, he changed them that day. He wasn't a bad guy, just dumber than a box of rocks. You'd think they would at least read their own caresheets :?

EWT

sunnymarcie

Celestial Spider
Old Timer
Course, you could always just throw a handful of maggots in the shop keepers face. Prolly make him think a bit.~Atrax
:D I could do that:D

Palespider

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
One local reptile shop by me can't seem to get it through their head that E. murinus is a tropical T, which I have told them many times. They keep them on bone dry substrate without a water dish.

The only 3 that I have ever seen there were dead or had died a couple weeks later.

Jim B.

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
I would go to the petshop, write down EVERYTHING that is a danger to the animals, then submit it to your local humane society and file a complaint. Or, try code enforcement. I would follow up and bug them until something was done. Have your friends and family do the same. Call your local newspaper. Geeze, there must be SOMETHING that can be done! Call Steve Irwin!!!!

I HATE it when I see pets being abused and/or neglected for the profit of a damn store-owner!! Sometimes, you just feel so helpless.:(