STILL no sac...why?

kellygirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
This past spring, my big female A. avicularia was mated SEVERAL times with two different males. She eventually ate one of them so I assumed she was through and possibly gravid. But she has given no signs that she is going to drop a sac!

I thought, "Maybe she's not happy with her enclosure," so I splurged and went all out of my way trying to make her happy. Her enclosure looks awesome but she has not even picked a place for "homebase," even though she has many options. That was over a month ago.

She hasn't molted since her several rendez-vous with the males so I would assume it's still possible for her to give me a sac. Any tips on coaxing one out of this girl? What are some possiblities for why she has not dropped yet?

-Kelly

pelo

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Patience and time...It can take months to produce an eggsack as you are experiencing right now.A tid bit.By the sounds of it most think at the time of mating eggs are already present inside the female and fertilized.Not true.Sperm is stored and then used at the time of egg laying at which time they are then fertilized.The female has to be somehow stimulated into egg producing.Mating itself may stimulate the female into producing eggs along with many other factors.Try heavy feeding..a little more frequent mistings to replicate spring/wet seasons.Temps may be a factor..try raising/lowering temps.The female may not produce eggs until a certain time of year..which can vary dependant on species.As long as there was a good mating and she doesn't molt during the meantime, there's a good chance she'll produce an eggsack eventually.Just give it plenty of time and be patient...peace..

Last edited:

Phillip

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Getting Ts to breed and getting a viable sack from one are two totally different things. I truly wish that getting them to breed was all it took as I would have more slings than I could get rid of if that were the case. Sometimes all will seem to go well and still no sack or worse a bad one. Sadly luck still plays a big role in it. As far as what you can do the best advice I can give is to have the female set up and comfy before mating and to disturb her as little as possible afterwards while feeding her all she will eat.

Phil

kellygirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks pelo and Phillip--at least I know not to give up hope! :) I wasn't sure whether fertility could be a factor. Thanks for the advice!

-Kelly