What's the deal with H. minax?

Dragoon

ArachnoGoon
Old Timer
hello.
I was just wondering why I see the minax written with "x" around it? Is this no longer a valid name? What is the new name?

I don't care what they are called, I just know I have to have one of these velvety black bitey things. VBBT for short, I suppose...
So I need to be alert for whatever name(s) they go by.
Thanks in advance.
D.

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
A lot of people have spiders they were sold as Haplopelma minax, but they are not certain the ID is 100% correct. I think this is why a lot of people are callign them "Haplopelma minax" or Haplopelma "minax".
All this confusion has come from the pet trade which tends to sall anything big black and Asian as "Haplopelma minax" without proper identification.

vulpina

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Alot of the black Asian species being sold are probably H. longipedum or C. paganus. The true minax is extermely difficult to come by.

Andy

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Originally posted by Lopez
A lot of people have spiders they were sold as Haplopelma minax, but they are not certain the ID is 100% correct. I think this is why a lot of people are callign them "Haplopelma minax" or Haplopelma "minax".
All this confusion has come from the pet trade which tends to sall anything big black and Asian as "Haplopelma minax" without proper identification.
My H. "minax" is actually a longipedum!! It's happening all over the place!

Martin H.

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Andy,

Originally posted by vulpina

Alot of the black Asian species being sold are probably H. longipedum
to my humble knowledge there is no Haplopelma longipedum described so far! I think you are refering to Haplopelma sp. "longipedum".
Even it doesn't look like but it's a big difference of the message/info you say if you write it with or without the "sp." and the quotation marks!

cheers,
Martin

Last edited:

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Whoa, I didn't know that! All this time I was dong it without the "sp." THANKS!