Where do I go from here?

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
My wife left me recently (long story, you don't wanna know), so I now have no restrictions on how many or what species of tarantulas I keep :) She never let me get very agressive ones, or more than a ten or so. It's been a LONG time since I had anything else, so I'm clueless as to where to start.

My current collection has the following species: C. cyanpubescens, A. avicularia, B. vagans, G. aureostriata, A. geniculata, E. capestratus, X. intermedia, B. smithi, A. seemani, T. blondi, A. versicolor, A. metallica. That should give you an idea of what I like.

I'm currently looking into getting an Usumbara, and P. irminia. I'm not sure what else would be fun, though. I'm not interested in Pokies, or most Asian species.

So where do I go from here, then?

-Bryan

greensleeves

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Originally posted by TheEternal

-Bryan
Hmm, judging by your list you seem to have a lot of Avic. spp.

I'd say, from what I've read, if you wanted something a little more challenging within that realm of things you've already enjoyed, you might go for an Avicularia braunshauseni. They've been on my wishlist for a long time - a nice big pink toe, with reputedly a bit more "spice" than most avics.

Another user showed me his mature male via webcam and it was MAGNIFICENT. Took up a good portion of an 8.5 by 11" sheet of paper with its legs not fully stretched out. And he said his mature female was even BIGGER. :D

So many people around seem to just have slings of these species. I hope we get to see more pics of big 'uns soon. (And more slings in Canada, so I can nab one.)

Psalmopoeus seems like a good choice too - a little more daring than avics, but at the same time, I've seen very few bite reports on them. Personally, if I went for one it would be a cambridgei, but that's because I'm trying to assemble a collection of the green Ts.

H. maculatas are gorgeous too, although I remember reading they are in the same more unpleasant venom effects category as pokies. But they're so beautiful - like they're covered in icing sugar! Don't lick one, though! ;P

Greensleeves

dennis

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
P. murinus won't let you down, great t with a great attitude :). If you like C. cyaneopubescens, you will probably also like C. fasciatum, mine is a fast little agressive bugger, but still it's one of my favorites...

O yeah, also get a Psalmopoeus! Or get all Psalmopoeus spp :D

Last edited:

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
Re: Re: Where do I go from here?

Originally posted by greensleeves
H. maculatas are gorgeous too, although I remember reading they are in the same more unpleasant venom effects category as pokies. But they're so beautiful - like they're covered in icing sugar! Don't lick one, though! ;P
I had a pair of maculatas once. They really REALLY nice, but they're too reclusive for my tastes. I like spiders I can find most of the time, or at least watch eat.

-Bryan

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
Originally posted by dennie
P. murinus won't let you down, great t with a great attitude :). If you like C. cyaneopubescens, you will probably also like C. fasciatum, mine is a fast little agressive bugger, but still it's one of my favorites...
Does C. fasciatum burrow a good amount? I'd rather not get any burrowing species.

-Bryan

dennis

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Does C. fasciatum burrow a good amount? I'd rather not get any burrowing species.

-Bryan
Well, I haven't seen mine burrow ... Maybe it's because I'm not giving her much opportunity to burrow, but the spider seems happy, in her little hide. In fact, mine is out most of the time, and will start running like crazy when disturbed, and run into her hide, ... very cool spider (ask Bill :)).

DEnnis

deifiler

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Venture into the world of Haplopelma... I knwo you want to avoid burrowing species, but I'd really consider it.

How about some lovely Megaphobema? Though in my experience, these are far from aggressive, totally shy.

Lasiodora/Lasiodorides spp should be tasty for you... How about a Cithariscius crawshayi? Or elaborate within the genera you already keep

How about getting some 'pedes or stepping-foot into one of the other forums? :)

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
Originally posted by deifiler
Venture into the world of Haplopelma... I knwo you want to avoid burrowing species, but I'd really consider it.

How about some lovely Megaphobema? Though in my experience, these are far from aggressive, totally shy.

Lasiodora/Lasiodorides spp should be tasty for you... How about a Cithariscius crawshayi? Or elaborate within the genera you already keep

How about getting some 'pedes or stepping-foot into one of the other forums? :)
Haplopelma- I'd rather avoid Asian species until I get back in the habit of dealing with swift, agressive, HOT spiders. Currently, I have very little to worry about from my brood, making me somewhat careless. I'd like to ease into those down the road.

Megaphobema robustum has been on my want list for years. When I can finally find one and have the money to get it at the same time, I'm all over that :)

Lasiodora sp are not something I want. I have some in the past and they are MAJOR hair kickers. Since some people on here don't know, I've had serious allergic reactions to urticating hairs in the past.

As for other inverts, I have a few. Seven emporer scorpions right now, but I find scorpions a bit too boring for my tastes (no offense to any scorpion keepers). They just don't really do that much. I've had centipedes in the past, and might consider another. They're really neat to watch. Milipedes, I've also had, but I find the mantienence to be too high for my tastes (I like only caring for my critters once a week or so). So yeah, maybe a centipede again, but that would be about it.

-Bryan

vulpina

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Go for any of the Nhandu species, you say you don't like Lasiodora, but I would highly recommend any from this genus. How about Xenesthis or maybe a Pamphobeteus or two? Or maybe a Phormictopus. Just my thoughts on the subject. I really love my two Chilobrachys fimbriatus, even though they're Asian.

Andy

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Bryan, the robustums can be hair kickers too. mine do it in a way that is almost slow motion compared to brachys and other sp. but the hair kicking will result in large clumps of hair that floats all over the place.
Ed

Mendi

Arachnowolf
Old Timer

-Bryan

Mine web, web, and web some more, but neither are too much into burrowing. They are great Ts! A tiny little sling will grow up very fast, they start showing color around ½" even.

PapaSmurf

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
you got a nice list of T's there get a a new pet rock (forthall baboon) well mines a pet rock anyways.Next to my frist rose hair my forthall is my favorite.

Josh

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
My wife left me recently (long story, you don't wanna know), so I now have no restrictions on how many or what species of tarantulas I keep :) She never let me get very agressive ones, or more than a ten or so. It's been a LONG time since I had anything else, so I'm clueless as to where to start.

My current collection has the following species: C. cyanpubescens, A. avicularia, B. vagans, G. aureostriata, A. geniculata, E. capestratus, X. intermedia, B. smithi, A. seemani, T. blondi, A. versicolor, A. metallica. That should give you an idea of what I like.

I'm currently looking into getting an Usumbara, and P. irminia. I'm not sure what else would be fun, though. I'm not interested in Pokies, or most Asian species.

-Bryan
You go WHEREVER YOU WANT sweetie!!! And don't EVER let anyone but your parents tell you what you can or cannot keep in your own home!:rolleyes:

I too, agree with the Haplopelmas. If you have a blondi, you're ready for a haplo. And I think EVERY collection should include at LEAST a lividium. The more I buy, the more I want. I started with lividium, got a longipedum, and HAD to buy the schmidti! They are beautiful, shy and easy to care for. I say, "IF YOU'RE FEELING BLUE, GET A COBALT BLUE!!"=D

Spike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I also agree with the p.cambrigi. I have yet to hear a comlaint and as many have stated before very underated. Its on top of my list.

Deliverme314

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Originally posted by Mendi
Mine web, web, and web some more, but neither are too much into burrowing. They are great Ts! A tiny little sling will grow up very fast, they start showing color around ½" even.
Mine justed molted into an incher... but it burrows alot. I am hoping this will go away with growth... But it has some real good tiger striping all ready.