My First moult

Richard_uk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hi people,
I'm sure some of you may remember my rather excited post about when I first got this mexican red knee tarantula. Well, she has been doing really well up until about a month or so ago. I only rarely used to see her as she almost always was in her artificial cave. For about the last 2 weeks, she hasn't stepped foot inside it. She has stayed put up one corner of the tank.I have noticed that that area is covered with an incredibaly fine layer of silk.
I just took a look at her and the bald patch on her abdomen has now turned a charcoal black colour. I presume this means she is about to shed her skin? Could this explain her behavior? How long until she starts to shed? And do I need to do anything such as raise the humidity in the tank? I would hate to lose her over something like that.

Many thanks,

Richard.

vulpina

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Pre-molt times can vary greatly, just keep her the same way you have been, making sure the water dish is always full, and the molt should turn out alright.

Andy

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Richard
Just keep the water dish full and wait.:p
It'll do just fine.
Make sure crickets don't remain in the enclosure for long, or hid out in the hide. Its prob. off crickets now anyways..
Good molting..:D

E

rorika

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
hmm if it has built a fine layer of silk it won't be long till it moults.. maybe over the night it should be moulting already..