okay should I have bought it?

rapunzel

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Went to a petstore, and they had a large Cobalt Blue for sale for thirty dollars. I cant sex them, so I didnt get it.

Is that a good deal? Should I go back?

Kim

rapunzel

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
it was

about 4-5 inches..was hard to tell, because it was in the far corner of the tank, with its legs drawn close.
I didnt get it, because I figured that it would be a male on its last "leg".

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Is it blue? Mature male Haplopelma lividum are not blue like the females.
Any Haplopelma not given adequate digging soil will sit hunched in the manner you describe. They are very highly strung.

rapunzel

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
see? Now I am glad I didnt buy it.

I just finished a PM in which i was saying that it was not blue like the ones in the pictures posted here. it was a duller color, and I thought perhaps a molt was gonna happen soon. So, guess that was a male.
And it didnt have enough substrate to burrow at all.

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Rapunzel,
why not buy a few spiderlings of the lividums? less expensive that way and you will have the satisfaction of seeing them grow up (well, you might not see them THAT much as they are secretive, I would only see the ones I had after the lights had been out for a while). they grow somewhat fast so it would not be all that long of a time before they get adult sized.
Ed

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I'd hold off Kim,
$30.00 is a good price for a female, for sure.
I bought a Male for $10.00 and shipped it to Type-o for breeding.
The thing about H. lividum, as you've heard so many times, is you'll only see it when you put it in its cage. Then its out of site 99.5% of the time. IMO...;)

Moe

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Re: see? Now I am glad I didnt buy it.

Originally posted by rapunzel
I just finished a PM in which i was saying that it was not blue like the ones in the pictures posted here. it was a duller color, and I thought perhaps a molt was gonna happen soon. So, guess that was a male.
And it didnt have enough substrate to burrow at all.
It could just of easily have been a pre-moult female.
Shining a torch or lamp on the legs will show up any dulled blue colouration.

PapaSmurf

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
they prolly keeping it on coconut shaveings or somthing like that . they keep the T's at my local pet store on it and they got a cobalt and it sits in its hut all webbed up.

Josh

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Be CAREFUL! If it is a wild-caught specimen, and if it's hunched up in a corner, it could have parasites or something. This has happened to me so many times! I just bought a wc a. seemani adult female for my soon to be mature male, and I left her in the pet shop for two weeks just to make sure she wasn't going to die on me! I told him I wanted her, but was waiting to make sure she was healthy!!

Around here, that IS a fantastic price though!! BEST OF LUCK!