Scarabs?

Wh1teshark

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Does anyone know if they are awailible in the pet trade. I don't know the scientific name but the specie that I'm looking for is the classic one often depicted in ancient Egyptian sculptures and paintings.

I really like Egyptian history and folklore and it would be neat to keep a few of these historically and cultural important beetles.

Thanks,

/David

Wh1teshark

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Oh, to bad they have such a un-glamourous name :)
I don't thing the great Farao Kefren would had said "I want my toomb to be decorated with dungbeetle-ornaments". They were most likely sacred and had probably a much cooler sounding name.

/David

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The dung beetle was so sacred because soem egyptian saw it rolling its dung accross the ground and thought that it was rolling the sun accrosqs the sky sorta thing 'cant remember the ezact story but you get the idea]

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
There's some really awsome African dung beetles, huge things. Here in the US, the USDA won't let us have 'em. :(

Wade

Jakob

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
When I went to Tunisia in northern Africa I saw tons of huge blue beetles. Unfortunately I don't remember what they looked like exactly...just that they were big and blue...

Later,

Jake

Veulaen

Arachnopeon
Last I checked the beetle you are looking for has long been extinct, the Dung beetle is just its closest relative. I think the actual egyptian scarab no longer exists. But I could be wrong.

Wh1teshark

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
That's to bad if that's the case.
I would really like to know if anyone sits with more information about this.

Anyone know if they are awailible in Europe, and do they require dung for some part of their life? If they do it would really suck :)
I wouldn't want to drag manure into my house :)

/David

Veulaen

Arachnopeon
I think you may be able to feed them wet cat food. You may wamt to look further into it to make sur though

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
You must have dung to rear them. Adults may accept fruit, but the larvae need the dung.

Wade

GoTerps

Arachnoking
Old Timer
You should check out more than just the "dung" beetles. The dung beetles are one subfamily within the family Scarabaeidae. There are many other subfamilies in the "Scarabs" including some really beautiful species.

Wh1teshark

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks for all the replys.

The market is pretty limited when it comes to beetels here in Sweden.

I will begin so search for sellers in spring here.

/David

Brak

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Are not the fruit eating beetles Pachnoda marginata (Coleoptera, Scarabaeoidea) in the scarab family? We have some P.m. perigrina and they are very easy to keep. Just found some larva the other day. Or did you want the larger dung beetles?

Brak

Last edited:

Brak

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The egyptian dung beetle is Scarabaeus sacer but I can't find the site that gave a little history of the ancient Egyptials worship of this type of beetle. Maybe you can find it. Bedtime for me.

Cheers

Brak