How Do You???

Anansi

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
How do you get little white things (maybe mites?) off of the tarantulas abdomen?...And also are these things harmful for the tarantula?

Wh1teshark

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
If they are mites, and they probably are they could wery well be dangerous to your T. Their tiny molts can clog the book lungs and infestation of the leg joints. Their feces can irritate the mouth and book lungs as well.

The first thing you should do is to take the spider out of the cage and sterilize all decorations well and clean the whole cage with a chlorine mix. Make wery sure that you rinse the cage EXTREMELY well untill there is no smell of chlorine left. It's better to rinse to much than to little.

Change the substrate and keep the whole enclosure dry the following days. If it's not a desert-living spider you should bring the humidity up in a few days.

The ordeal of getting the mites of the spider itself i will have to leave to some one else to explain. I don't have enough experience of this. I have only taken care of mites on my snakes. :)

Good luck!

/David

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
See TTKG. (I don't have it with me right now!!!) But there is a thorough explanation of how to get rid of them!