Urgent T problems

Cockroach

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hello everyone, I'm new to keeping T's, but I've been reading-up on keeping them. I got given to me two T's today, an A. aviculara and G. rosea. They were both not taken care of properly, and both have problems.

The G. rosea is named "Bristles", and has the more urgent problems of the two. She whent through a bad molt, and some exoskeleton was wrapped tight around her mouthparts that have the fangs at the end of them( sorry, I don't know the names of most T body structures). The fangs now point forward at a slight angle and are very visible. Can she eat with the fangs facing forward instead of the way they usually rest them? Or do I need to do something with the insects so she can eat? Does anyone know if they should return to normal when she next molts?

The A. aviculara is named "Tippy", and he is missing his pedipalps. If he isn't going to be bred, can he function well without them? Other than the missing pedipalps, he is healthy, and likes to jump:).

Hope someone here can help, I'm really worried about my Bristles and Tippy:(.

laters,
Bill

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The pinktoe won't be able to breed, but should live for some time yet. Mind you, not too long though.

The rosea is more of a problem.
I'd first ask you how big is it? If its big enough to hold with your fingers, you can hold it upside down and drip some water on the mouth to hopefully loosen the stuck skin.
If it didn't shed all its mouth parts, including its pumping stomach and thorax, it is in real trouble.
It could do a force molt in time, but you'll just have to wait and see.

Bad news.. Good luck..

Ernie

Cockroach

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks for the reply. There's no stuck skin on her, it all was removed before I got her, but not before her fang area was distorted. Her fangs just jutt out a little, will this effect her ability to eat?

laters,
Bill

MrFeexit

Arachnodork
Old Timer
They really don't eat with their fangs so if she can catch and hold her food she should be fine. See how she does with a cricket. She will basically masticate her food then suck up the juice, the fangs help hold on to the prey.

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Oh, I see.
As long as it can drink, you can make it cricket soup. They use their fangs to catch and tenderize their food.
Is it a adult?

Cockroach

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
She's about 3 inches long, and the people said that she "mouths" her prey, but they didn't say whether she had actually eaten them. I don't have any crickets, but I could mash-up a cockroach for her is that what you meant by cricket soup? Thank you for the replies.

laters,
Bill

abstract

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Have you TRIED to feed her? What were the results? I had a spider with broken fangs, who would "play" with it's food for a good amount of time - then the cricket would walk away from it.

I basically caught the crix, and cut a small hole in their back, enough to where they started to ooze. Then dropped the crik in the enclosure, and my spider would catch it, and basically "juice" it - tiger-juicer style. :D

Cockroach

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Bristles won't eat for me at the moment. I tried the raw chicken breast, and I cut a slit in the back of a roach. She could just be getting used to her new home right now, I'll try to feed her again in a few days. She has been drinking water from her shallow water dish, so I'm not worried about her consuming her meals right now.
I have Tippy in a tall tank, but he can't stick to the glass, and tries his hardest to cling to the walls of the tank. Could there be something wrong with his foot pads?
My mother is normally afraid of spiders, but I actually got her to hold Bristles:). She's very friendly, and if she makes it, will make an excellent pet:).

laters,
Bill:D

the new guy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
my rosie has tried climbing the glass a few times and failed at all attempts. it has pretty much gotten to know that the only way out of there is by my hand. its perfectly content on the ground in its hide.