tarantula Humidity

Matt B

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I would like to know how I can raise the humidity in my 10 gallon tank for my tarantula. I want to make it around 75. I have a water dish that's about 4" in Dia., and I use a spray bottle. I have a new cobalt blue tarantula.

Thanks, Matt

the new guy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
you might want to tape something over half of the aquarium lid. this will raise the humidity and still let enough fresh air circulate the enclosure.

Matt B

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have tried covering the top with different material, I would just like to know how do some folks keep it that high? What material would you recommened?

the new guy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
some people use plastic wrap. i suppose posterboard or something like that would work also.

Buspirone

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Some people don't use anything and don't fuss over humidity at all.

Matt B

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks guys. I just signed on and this sight has already been very useful. I guess I'm just getting a little stressed about having this new T. She's my 3rd one, but the care for her is obviously different. I really want her to be healthy and happy.

Thanks

abstract

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Matt - welcome to the site!

I think the more T's you acquire, you'll probably figure out what Busprione eluded to - the humidity requirements for most species aren't as cut and dry as a caresheet might say.

A lot of the people who keep a lot of T's keep their enclosures bone-dry (or at least let them dry out every once and a while) while providing a waterdish.

While probably not true for EVERY species or slings, an adult spider of many sp. can live in a bone-dry enclosure. With that in mind, you don't have to worry about babying them humidity-wise. :rolleyes:

I have two seemanis, both kept in 2.5 gal tanks with a hide, and a 2" delicup waterdish......I overfill the waterdish every once and a while, but other than that the lids are TOTALLY ventilated, and both spiders are content.

Experts, correct me if I'm wrong.

Atalanta

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Matt-

As stated several times above, with many adult tarantula species, it is probably not necessary to freak too much about humidity.

That being said, I understand the need to do everything "right."
I spent a lot of time fussing about humidity vs. proper air flow when I first got my t. blondi (they need between 75-80% or higher, according to some caresheets). He is in a large terrarium so this required some experimenting.

I found that substrate choice can help or hinder. Plain jungle mix seemed to retain less moisture by itself than when mixed with coconut fiber brick substrate. I've read that peat is good for this as well, and a small live plant seems to have helped.
I also keep a towel over 3/4 (or slightly more) of the screen top, plus a large water dish (approx. 3 inch diameter - size yours appropriately for spider and terrarium). These methods have kept it around 80-83%. When we started running the heater, I added a room humidifier (for both of us!) and mist the terrarium if necessary.
Good luck with whatever method you find works best. :)

vulpina

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Saran wrap about 80% of the lid and then mist.

Andy

krtrman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Matt where are you located in the world. this might help some to better help you. esp those in your neck of the woods. ambient outside humidity can help alot.

Matt B

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I live in northern NV. She seems to be doing OK during the day. When I wake up at about 6:30, she'll be making a web in her hut that goes around her. Then at night I'll turn the day light off, turn on the red night light, and she'll start to run around and climb all over the aquarium. She is really active at night. I'll wake up and she'll start building her web again. I put 2 wash cloths over 1/3 of the lid on each end, so 1/3 of the lid in the middle is open for her light and fresh air. When I mist the 2 cloths, it gets to be about 60% humidity. Should I mist the cloths once a day? Can I get mold or some infestation of bugs if I do it more often? I didn't have to mist for the previous T's I had, so I'm still getting use to this.

Thanks, Matt