Peatmoss or potting soil?

The Juice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I was just wondering wich is better? it is for a costarican zebra , and a costarican tigerrump if that makes a diff?

xBurntBytheSunx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i mix them together, best of both worlds. i don't know if one is better than the other though

Chrissy

Arachnopeon
I use a peat/vermiculite mix. its easy for them to burrow in and keeps the humidity up. i haven't had any mold/mites either :)

kosh

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i have tried straight potting soil and straight vermiculite......i now use peat and vermiculite mix (about a 60/40 mix respectively)....i like it better and the T's seem to like it better too.....

chuck

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
i either use straight top soil or peat, and my Ts dont seem to care. then again, none of my "burrowing" arachnids have ever burrowed (vinegaroon, A.seemanni)

Mendi

Arachnowolf
Old Timer
I use mostly straight peat for my adults and a peat/vermiculite mix for my slings for the humidity requirements of the little ones. Most of my adult Ts are desert species so the straight peat works great for them as it stays pretty bone dry other than the spillage around their water dishes. Potting soil should be fine as long as their hasn't been anything like fertilzer added to it though, and you don't have to buy quite as much at a time. I mostly see huge bags at places like Home Depot where I would need to go to the local greenhouses to find it in any amount smaller than 1 cubic foot bags