PDA

View Full Version : is this possible?

fang333999
06-03-2010, 07:00 PM
okay, so about a year ago or more i mated my female p murinus. she had a sac, it was good, and it had about 150 healthy offspring. she didnt double clutch, and soon after she molted. shes been hiding in her web ever since then, almost completely invisible from me. today she came out and her abdomen is huge, exactly like it was when she was gravid. im almost certain that she is, because i havent been powerfeeding her. is this possible that shes bearing eggs? and if so, what are the odds they are fertile?

J.huff23
06-03-2010, 07:12 PM
Sounds like a dud sack to me.

fang333999
06-03-2010, 07:16 PM
aww man. yeah i guess it isnt possible to be fertile, wishful thinking got the best of me

J.huff23
06-03-2010, 07:21 PM
Yea, Im not an expert on dud sacs, but im pretty sure the female still carries eggs, but they are infertile? Anyone wanna confirm?

I have a big female S.rubronitens that I believe is up to the same things because she is F A T. And she isnt powerfed at all. She just has put a ton of weight these last few weeks.

Rick McJimsey
06-03-2010, 07:27 PM
aww man. yeah i guess it isnt possible to be fertile, wishful thinking got the best of me

If she is carrying eggs, you can breed her before she lays and the sac could be fertile. The eggs aren't fertilzed until they are being laid.

J.huff23
06-03-2010, 07:28 PM
If she is carrying eggs, you can breed her before she lays and the sac could be fertile. The eggs aren't fertilzed until they are being laid.

That is so cool! I never knew that before! Very cool.

Clement
06-03-2010, 08:22 PM

Did you tried it?

BrettG
06-03-2010, 08:34 PM
I have done this with A.avic a few times actually.CB female that was NEVER paired was gravid.The good ol LED flashlight lit her up bright yellow.Threw a male in,he finished up his duty,and I had a sack a month later. Worked like a charm.

J.huff23
06-03-2010, 08:56 PM
I have done this with A.avic a few times actually.CB female that was NEVER paired was gravid.The good ol LED flashlight lit her up bright yellow.Threw a male in,he finished up his duty,and I had a sack a month later. Worked like a charm.

That is so awesome. I learn something new every day.

BrettG
06-03-2010, 09:12 PM
That is so awesome. I learn something new every day.

Yea,if you KNOW that she is egg laden,and you have fast access to a MM,your set.She knows she is going to lay,so might as well make it viable.

Clement
06-03-2010, 09:20 PM
wow that's amazing:eek:

ZergFront
06-03-2010, 09:38 PM

Looks like a dud egg sac is coming as stated.

Females can store sperm for a very long time, but they lose it all with the molt. It is possible she's got eggs ready to go. You probably still have time to get a male for her to make it a fertile sac. Fertilization takes place outside the body like someone else has stated.

Protectyaaaneck
06-03-2010, 11:38 PM
If she's molted since being mated then yes, it will be a dud sac. Only e. olivacea can perform that special trick. :D

My female p. cambridgei(hybrid?) just layed and ate her 2nd dud sac since I've had her. She get's halfway through laying it and then proceeds to munch it. I'm not sure why she doesn't just re-absorb the eggs.

Protectyaaaneck
06-03-2010, 11:42 PM
Did you tried it?

I'm pretty sure you can mate her at any point up until she actually lays the sac. Meaning you could mate her one day and she could lay that same day or the next. :P

BorisTheSpider
06-04-2010, 12:30 PM
Try mating her again . The eggs aren't fertilized until the moment she lays them so you might just have enough time . Don't pass on an opportunity to bring more OBT's into the world . :D