im getting out.

Vayu Son

Old Timer
My prized Poecilotheria striata juvenile female is currently biting the dust.

progression:

until last month: fine
then: she was one of my possibly damaged species by that unknown destroyer - became a little bit jittery and stopped eating, but I eventually classified her as OK when she molted two weeks ago and walked/looked beautiful.

yesterday:fine

20 minutes ago:fine,pacing the cage actively.

10 minutes ago: on her back, liquid oozing out of her mouth/snot like and varying between thin and clear and thick and mucusy.

1 minute ago: flopping around, will die soon.

I cant deal with this thing happening over and over and over to my prized specimens.

I have four favorite T's I will keep: Avicularia versicolor, psalmopeus cambridgei, Citharischius crawshayi, Poec. rufilata

The rest I do not think are infected, but for their sake and my sake do not want to endanger them of that.

Up for grabs: 100+ usumbara slings.

2.5" hap. lividum unsexed

3" unsexed Heteroscodra maculata(most likely male)

2 1" brach. albopilosum

1" eupalestrus campestratus

2" Paraphysa scrofa

2.5" Avicularia braunshauseni

preferably to someone in florida who can pick them up, but if anyone wants to pay shipping then ill spend the time to pack.

sigh

-V

Vayu Son

Old Timer
><

o h yeah.

I have a 6 and a half minute mpg of the striata dying if anyone wants to see it for educational purposes. I dont have anywhere to host it though.

scott?

-V

Shox

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i'd like to see that, can you send it over AIM?

my sn is CL0nedJesus =)

Longbord1

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i would love to take the a braunshauni im so sorry about all ur luck. i really hope the Ts u think of keeping will do great and im sure its not ur fault.maybe the Ts u have gotten have some rare mutation that causes them to have this disease maybe like a cancer.as i said i am very sorry good luck with ur other Ts.
i would like to buy ur braunshauni email me at beetlen643d@aol.com
mike

PapaSmurf

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
sorry man about or poec. hows everything else doing ? if you dont got any one elese to take some of those usumbaras off your hands i'd gladly take em. im not in your area or anything but if no one else will take em i'd pay shipping and any other fees , or anything else you cant get rid, pm or email me, if you want.

Josh

DR zuum

ArachnoAntigen
Old Timer
Sorry for your loss man, if i may ask how long had you had her?And what were you feeding her? And the temp and humidity she was at if you dont mind sharing that info.

Vayu Son

Old Timer
><

Ive had her 1 year and 3 months. Fed crickets/roaches every couple weeks/when she would take them. Removed if did not take.

temp: consistent 65 - 80, little if any variation. relatively humid with lots of ventilation and an open water source. died in an icu.

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
sorry for your loss. how many others have you lost, and was it in the same manner that they died? this is scary! have you been getting your feeders from the same place since the deaths? what kind of water do you have/use? what kind of substrate do you use? do you use branches, etc. from outside that could have transmitted parasites, diseases, etc.? sorry for all the questions but I am very curious.
Ed

MrFeexit

Arachnodork
Old Timer
Hmmmmm what the hell are we missing here?!?! This seems to be happening with increasing regularity. Could it possibly be some air born pathogen that we are not affected by. It is possible that other spiders (wild) are experiancing the same thing but with out witnesses. This is very disturbing. I am really sorry to hear about this Vayu...I would have a hard time watching that happen. MAN, and it strikes so quickly!! Send the body to bodinski?? The research guys.

Vayu Son

Old Timer
><

atavuss,

around 5 or 6 dead with more infected.

same manner of death.

I get feeders from the same source, none of their animals or the animals of people who buy from them have got it.

I use a mix of sta-green peat and vermiculate.

no branches/etc.

bodisky

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Originally posted by Vayu Son
My prized Poecilotheria striata juvenile female is currently biting the dust.<

So sorry this is happening!
Can you send the T to us at RIESM?
I have just finished dissection of a T with similar symptoms. I found the esophagus and sucking stomach almost dissolved into the sub and supra ganglions. I also found a disturbing amount of bacteria in the nerve cords and subsequent substantial damage to the nerve fibers. At first glance, this looks like an autoimmune response. ??? The T immune system tries to cope with what may be a bacteria, fungus or molt onset and the T body turns against itself attacking the nervous system. Sort of like MS or Gullianne-Barre syndrome in humans. (grasping here) The swabs have been sent off to Larry so right now this is just a best GUESS. Swabs will tell the tale on this one I believe.
But this is just this one specimen. It may be several pathogens causing the same symptoms. I wish there was an quick and easy fix but there is not. Research takes an enormous amount of time and money.
Again, so sorry this problem continues within your collection. Please let me know if we can assist you or if you wish to donate any specimens.
Kerry
RIESM

Frostbyte

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
So basically any or all of Vayus Ts could have or could be exposed to some air born virus? To me the only things these Ts seem to share are is the air that they take in. Could Carbon Monoxide in small traces do something like this? Or are you thinking its a Virus?

stu

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
ack, sorry about the loss,

anyone seen this sort of thing in the UK or Europe?

plus, as someone mentioned - is this happening to T's in the wild too?

cheers,

Stu

Vayu Son

Old Timer
what the hell

you guys need to see this video.

In the middle of it, I flip the t over and take it into my hand, it has no reaction whatsoever. I put it down in its correct position and it looked dead.

today: shes up and running around all jittery again, but responsive and moving.

maybe the others secretions choked up the booklungs?

wtf?

-V

P.s im not uncertain that the fluid is not venom and that the T is not having the equivalent of siezures...

MrFeexit

Arachnodork
Old Timer
Last edited:

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Curse of anansi?

Seriously, you seem a little jinxed with that. Try to separate them as much as possible, in groups of two or three, and keep them in different parts of the house?

abstract

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Wow - it's okay now? Spectacular!

I wish there was something we could check, like a heartbeat, to know whether the bugger is dead or alive...

Vayu Son

Old Timer
><

I wouldnt say it is ok now, just not dead.

The symptoms are almost exactly as seen in martins video there, only with the added discharge of fluid from the mouth area.

Mainly affects Grammastola/Poecilotheria thus far...

-V

vulpina

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Sorry about the loss, man that sucks!! Good luck with the 4 you are keeping.

Andy