Bad versicolor molt

SpiderTwin

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hi All,

I'm not sure what it is about me and A. versicolors, but I came home the other day to find my female versi dead from a bad molt. This is the second versi I've had now that died this way, but all of my other Avics have done great. What's up???

Just thought I'd share. I haven't been around here much, so I hope everyone is doing well.

Bjorgly

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Sorry for your loss.

I just lost a 1/2" versi sling as well, but to unknown causes as it had molted once in my care successfully. My A.avic is thriving, however so my situation seems to be similar to yours as far as luck goes with versis.

Mark

blackacidevil

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Don't worry me!

I've got a little versi (1") that seems like it's been in premolt for over a month. It just stays in it's tube web and does absolutely nothing. The abdomen hasn't really gotten dark but it is still small so I assume a molt is near. Any suggestions specifically for Versi's to help things go smoothly?

Bjorgly

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I have heard that Avicularia's benefit from regular, indirect sunlight along with high humidity and high ventilation --> A condition not so easy to maintain.

Mark

dennis

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I have had some problems with my versi, I kept it WAY too moist... But now the spider is doing fine, I think it's about 2.5" now, so still going strong. I'm keeping this spider very dry, just the occasional mist/spraying when I feel like it, (about every week or so) and this seems to do the trick.
Of course I have no doubt that you take great care of your spider (you kinda being the avic dude here), but maybe this helps you.

Dennis

SpiderTwin

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
As far as I was concerned, she was way overdue for her molt. I had been keeping a close eye on her, frequently misting and keeping her substrate slightly moist. If anything, I'd say her enclosure was more on the dry side.

The thing that came to mind after I found her was that since the weather has changed, the heater in the house has been on. I'm sure the heater lowers the humidity in the house. Not sure what exactly happened, I just haven't had very good luck with versi's.

vulpina

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Sorry to hear about the loss, I lost my versi also.

Andy