Bugs in my aquarium

Matt B

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have these little gnats (i think that's how you spell it) in my T's aquarium. Do you think they flew in from the screen on top, or are they growing and hatching from inside? I came home from school, and there's about 4 inside my cobalts cage.

Thanks, Matt

the new guy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
if there are any food leftovers, the gnats might be attracted to that.

abstract

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Search the forum with the search box on the bottom right for "mites" or "mite infestation" ...

That should be enough reading for you to determine what your suspect bugs are, and what to do about them, if anything. ;)

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
They are probably phorid flies. They look and act just like gnats..... do a search using those terms. Luckily, they are harmless!:rolleyes:

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Phorids aren't entirely harmless. If the population gets out of hand, they've actually been known to kill spiderlings and even adults. This is very rare, but it has happened. They MAY also be vectors for parasites.

Phorids are common in T collections and they take advantage of prey remains. Normally, they don't thrive to well in dry conditions, but if you've got animals on moist substrate, you can get a serious infestation.

They could also be fungus gnats, which thrive in moist soil (people with alot of house plants get these too).

In addition to dryness and clenliness, the sticky fly paper strips sold at hardware stores help alot in keeping thier numbers in check.

Wade

vulpina

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My best guess would be phorid flies, harmless but a pain in the butt.

Andy