Identity help

lawman182

Arachnopeon
I recently have acquired a tarantula following an animal complant of a large spider in an apartment building laundry room. I took it home because no one could figure out what to do with it and I didnt want to set it free outside as the cold would kill it. Its a medium size tarantula with a dark body and brownish gray hair, medium in color. Any help with identity and temperament would help. I'm normally afraid of spiders but I found myself fixing a cage for it and in a strange way would kinda like to handle it. Seems docile and doesnt move very fas, even when we were trying to initially catch it with a box and lid. Also didnt appear to show any aggresion when we were first trying to coral it into the box. Any advise and help would be great

the new guy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
until you know what it is, i would definately not handle it. as for its speed, it may have not moved very fast thus far, but believe me it can and it will when it wants to. any pictures will be very helpful in determines what you have.

Buspirone

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
A pic be more helpful but I'd say probably a Chliean rose(Grammastola rosea) only because they are the most common "pet" tarantula and you found it in an apartment complex where people are less likely to have a large broad based collection of invertebrates. A second guess would be a Honduran Curly Hair(Brachypelma albopilosum). Both are common in pet shops and few pet shops carry a variety besides those two and maybe a pink toe which doesn't fit your description. If it has been loose for awhile it may be dehydrated so right now getting it a shallow dish of water would be a good idea.

You can see pics of each for comparison by clicking on the links below:

Curly Hair

Chilean rose

Last edited:

vulpina

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I agree with Buspirone, probably a rosea or curly, but a picture would allow us a better guess.

Andy