new T - ID needed

stu

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
ended up picking up another new T last night (all I went to the shop for was locust :) )

sold to me as 'Burmese Brown' some kind of Chilobrachys sp.

Anyone have any idea what this is? he's a fiesty little fella

He is betwenn 4 - 5 inch - brownish carapace and black legs/abdoman - he looks to have a very dark stripe running down the middle of his abdomen too.

I'll try to get some photos this weekend.

Plus does anyone know the best conditions to keep Chilobrachys in?

cheers

Stu.

pelo

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
C.andersoni is commonly refered to as "burmese brown mustard".I have one myself.Give it ample substrate for burrowing and it'll make some pretty intricate burrows.Fiesty with a good appetite and grows fairly quickly.Hope that helps...peace..

stu

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
cheers pelo,

anyone have a link for more info or caresheets on these species? Ive spent most of the morning looking on the web and found nothing,

plus my boss in now hovering around - soon he's gonna wonder why I havnt done any work yet :)

cheers,

Stu

vulpina

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Chilobrachys can be kept like Haplopelma's they like to web alot though and burrow.

Andy

stu

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
cheers Andy,

So pretty high humidity then yeah,

Guess I'll have to sort his tank out quick - He is in the tank I bought him in which has about 1/2 inch of vermiculite, a small cork hide and pretty low humidity.

The speed and defensivness (sp?) of the little fella means it will be quite an 'interesting' job to re-house him :)

as I said I'll post some pics after the weekend so I can get a better idea of the species :)

cheers,

Stu.

pelo

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Originally posted by stu
cheers Andy,

So pretty high humidity then yeah,

cheers,

Stu.
>>Do like I do for all my burrowers.Use a large "deep" critter keeper.Drill some holes in the bottom.Fill to almost the rim with substrate.Gently pack down.Then immerse the whole container into a larger container filled with water.I immerse as far as to soak about 1/3 of the bottom of the substrate.The spider can then burrow to it's preferred humidity level.You'll have to periodically immerse the critter keeper to keep bottom 1/3 soil moist.Once the spider has burrowed and is established you can still immerse the container.The spider will either move above the temporary water line or just stay in it.Either way the spider will be fine.Saves all the fuss and hassle of trying to keep a constant humidity level and is much simpler to do.Your spider will be quite content...peace..

pdrake

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
also, instead of drilling holes in the critter keeper, use a piece of pvc that is the height of the keeper. put some holes in the bottom third of the pvc and place it along the side. then fil with substrate. pour water down the pipe to moisten the bottom of the substrate.

stu

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
ok, I managed to get a pic of this fella while re-housing him.

sorry the pic isnt too good - he wasnt up for posing for me.

anyone give me a ID on this? is it Chilobrachys andersoni?

plus pdrake - yeah thats what I do with my scorps (the pipe thing).

cheers,

Stu.

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I can't be too sure from that picture, but having lightened it in Photoshop somewhat, it looks more like a Haplopelma species than Chilobrachys. Care is basically the same, deep soil and a burrow, it will web less than a Chilobrachys.

Who sold you this spider?

stu

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
lopez,

I picked it up from holland hydrophonics on tib street in manchester last week.

Im not too sure that they knew what it was really - It was labeled as burmese brown and I was told it was some species of chilobrachys?

I'll try to get another photo if I can but last time I looked he had dug a burrow and was hiding inside - he isnt the sort of T I want to go digging for really - he's an excitable little fella :)

cheers,

Stu.

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Chilobrachys are generally a lot more slender, with long spinnerets. Here's a lightened pic of your spider....I'm almost certain it's a Haplopelma, I just don't know what one.

stu

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
cheers lopez,

Ive had a quick look on the net for Haplopelma photos maybe its Haplopelma longipedum?

Thats the only Haplopelma species I could find that kind of looks similar - but then again im pretty useless at id'ing T's :)

cheers,

Stu.

da_illest

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm almost positive it's a t. blondi.... then again i'm kind of a newB

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Originally posted by da_illest
I'm almost positive it's a t. blondi.... then again i'm kind of a newB
If that's a T. blondi I will eat my own head. ;)

vulpina

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Lopez, I don't think you will have to subject your head to self-mastication!!LOL!! That is definitely no T. blondi, I agree with you, I believe it looks like a Haplopelma of some type.

Andy

nemesis6sic6

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
yup

Thats certainly a "big huge black mice eating Malaysia Tarantula."

;)

My guess C. paganus (depends on size - they're small)

or H. sp "longipedum"