other assassins

Feri

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi,
Does anybody know any large tropical assassin bugs other than Platymeris? Here in Hungary there are some very nice species but they are only 1cm long (or even smaller). So there must be many large, colourful species in the rainforests. Why aren't they in the hobby? Or are they and I just simply don't know about it?

Feri

Darkant

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I don't know.....but i think that if they are there, and they aren't in the petshops etc, maybe they are protected by CITES.

people are not allowed to ship them then, or even sell them in their own country

Navaros

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Platymeris are the coolest ones. ;) A lot of other species feed on blood and carry some NASTY parasites. There are assassins in south america that feed on blood and carry a parasite that eats away all of your cartilage. There is a species here that I have found twice that are green, have not found an adult yet, hope to find more this year!

Darkant

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
COOL, how much do you find, like say in a year??
in holland the insect world really sucks.....
Almost no insects in sell, no insects in free nature,......blu :(

Navaros

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've only ever found 2, both within about 1 mile of each other in the same species of oak. I will be checking again this spring/summer, I have a feeling they are just a pretty ambush bug species but they could have been assassin nymphs.Neon green with orange spots on their backs, when they were scared they would curl their feet up over their bodies.