Exstatasomma pics....

Phillip

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Inverts just don't get much cooler looking than these guys. Thought some pics would be enjoyed.

A little high 5 action. :)

Phil

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
very nice pictures of your ET's
used to have them also,... nice and friendly insects :D

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
When did you start wearing nail polish Phil? ;P

Nice Pics dude,

Scott

Phillip

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
What no lipstick comment as well? I'm dissappointed man. lol

That would be the wifester.

Phil

whoami?

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have a question about these. I think they look cool, but I don't have ready access to eucalyptus or blackberry or bramble. But I see that they eat oak, and I do have access to lots of oak.

My question is, can I raise these animals to maturity on any one food item that they are willing to consume? That is, can these animals survive from being newly hatched to reproductive maturity on only eucalyptus or bramble or (in my case) oak? Does the fact that they are willing to eat an item mean that they can survive solely on that one food item?

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Generally, yes. In fact, it's sometimes difficult to get them to take something new after they've been eating something else.

Do you have oak available in winter? I'm not familliar with the climate in the Happyland Full Of Smiles and Giggles.

Wade

Navaros

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
=D
Do you have oak available in winter? I'm not familliar with the climate in the Happyland Full Of Smiles and Giggles.
Well if wherever whoami? is from, if they have evergreen oak species available, they are in business. Also, you might try feeding them romain lettuce.And Wade is correct, you usually need to slowly switch them off of their current food source.

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The Elytra and Antenna book "Ghosts of the Trees" (about stick and leaf insects) is especially helpful in finding food plants in the US. There's many trees and shrubs that are green year around that make great food sources. There's also tips for growing foodplants indoors. Check out the book! www.angelfire.com/oh3/elytraandantenna

Wade

Navaros

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yeah, if you want to get into the phasmid hobby, I recommend that book too. Orin and Peter did a great job.