I hate U-Hairs.....

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
OMG! I hate them.. :mad:

I just packed a B. smithi & I am itching & burning.. I even wore a shirt to avoid this.. It didnt help.. Time for some brillo pads.. It cleans & scratches at the same time.. {D

Just thought I would share my pain & suffering with you guys.. Im the only one awake here... :rolleyes:

*Edit* Sorry I put this in the wrong section.. I wasnt even paying attention...

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Plus one to the bite.. Bring on the Psalmos.. See.. I say Psalmos.. Because Im not quite sure I want a bite from a pokie or an S. cal, H. mac... :razz:

malevolentrobot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i feel you on that. i can't touch my rosea or her enclosure anymore without the itchies afterwards, but perhaps because it is the only type i've had the longest term exposure to. even hydrocortisone does nothing for me, nor do common fiberglass techniques. tried the hot/cold water thing, ugh. itchies still stayed for days and then the tiny blisters that ruin my hands whenever i get stressed or exposed to chemicals showed up.

i'm waiting for my brachy sensititvity to get worse because of my bohemei, but so far so good. i try to limit my exposure though, but with a new kicky vagans i'm probably doomed... :(

also, you're not the only one awake here. either that or i never sleep, lol...

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Oh man.. I hardly had any exposure to my brachys.. They stayed in the enclosure never held.. Opened to feed... Closed to stare at..

Brachys are my only weakness.. None of my other NWs bother me.. IF/WHEN my LP does start bothering me.. Oh well.. Im going to tough it out.. My girl aint going no where.... EVER! :D

As far as the "Me being the only one awake here" comment.. That was towards.. Here at the house.. LoL!

*Edit* Also.. I think it is only the smithi that irritates me.. Not sure if the albopilosum or vagans bothered me..

J.huff23

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Some of my Ts U-hairs have no effect, but some are terrible. The worse reaction that I have ever had to U-hairs was from my old B.albopilosum, swelled my eye shut.

I think its amazing that something as small as a hair from a tarantula can have such a painful effect on a human!

malevolentrobot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Oh man.. I hardly had any exposure to my brachys.. They stayed in the enclosure never held.. Opened to feed... Closed to stare at..

Brachys are my only weakness.. None of my other NWs bother me.. IF/WHEN my LP does start bothering me.. Oh well.. Im going to tough it out.. My girl aint going no where.... EVER! :D

As far as the "Me being the only one awake here" comment.. That was towards.. Here at the house.. LoL!
lol, i'm not looking forward to the reaction to my LP but i've got a long way to go on that one, and i wouldn't give it up either, its already pretty endearing even at .25".

and yeah, i stopped handling after my rosea and learning a lot here. the temptation comes every now and again, but the hairs are enough to remind me i'd be better off petting my cat or someones dog if i need that interaction. never handled the brachys in my collection, since they seem to be the third most reactive after blondis and LPs from what i've read.

i wish you the best dealing with the itch. also, score one for the non-handling proponents because i am on their side now... :D

Tindalos

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i know your pain. i got haired by my nhandu chromatus over a week ago and im still itching, i hate hot water now, it makes everything worse. my theraposha and lasiodoras have no effect but that chromatus, i want to strangle it!

flotation

Arachnopeon
Is there a remedy/cure for this? I've been searching the board for a cure but I can't seem to find one OR is there even one? My B.albo causes me to itch terrible but I still love it and I still hold it everyday! :)

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i know your pain. i got haired by my nhandu chromatus over a week ago and im still itching, i hate hot water now, it makes everything worse. my theraposha and lasiodoras have no effect but that chromatus, i want to strangle it!
I dont feel the effects that long.. I only itch for an hour or two.. If that really.. I have already stopped burning.. But still have a slight itch.. Nothing to bad though.. I have heard hot water is not the best treatment.. Try cold..

Also.. An old trick I learned from an old timer that use to deal with fiberglass.. Use bread or pantyhose.. It pulls the fiberglass out eith ease.. I have yet to try it with the U-Hairs.. But its worth a shot if it bothers you that long.. :)

Is there a remedy/cure for this? I've been searching the board for a cure but I can't seem to find one OR is there even one? My B.albo causes me to itch terrible but I still love it and I still hold it everyday! :)
Best way to fix your problem.. Dont handle the T everyday... ;)

x Mr Awesome x

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Out of my large LP, large genic, and my many brachy, I can say, without a doubt that the brachy are the worst by far for me! I'm talking weeks!!! Wonder why they're my favorite?

Motorkar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You have some baby skin.....I got haired by my B. smithi and I NEVER got any itch....

GPulchra

Arachnoknight
I've never been hit by urticating hairs. Then again, I haven't even been in this hobby for a month. If any T is going to lodge urticating hairs in my skin, I want it to be one of my Versicolors rather than my Pulchra. I heard that to lodge them, the Versicolors do a cute little butt press thing.

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You have some baby skin.....I got haired by my B. smithi and I NEVER got any itch....
I dont have baby skin... I have worked the oilfield since I was 19... I have rough scared skin..
I've never been hit by urticating hairs. Then again, I haven't even been in this hobby for a month. If any T is going to lodge urticating hairs in my skin, I want it to be one of my Versicolors rather than my Pulchra. I heard that to lodge them, the Versicolors do a cute little butt press thing.
I have read they do that.. Also read they can kick the U-hairs as well..
Never saw it with my own eyes.. But.. Have read they can..
I would never part with my versi if I started feeling their hairs.. Never!

GPulchra

Arachnoknight
They can kick 'em!? DARN! If one hair gets in my eye, I'm going to stick a toothpick through the opisthosomas of all my Ts (except for the OW :) ) and then throw them on the barbecue with mini fruits and vegetables. Then, instead of eating the shish kabob, I will stick each tarantula into a fire-powered "glow worm" (you know, those little tablets that you light up and they get really big and colorful). Then, I will dab some water on the glow worms to put out the fire, stomp on the glow worms, and then kick the dust into our backyard rocks :) . I'm kidding, of course, but my parents wouldn't let me keep Ts if they knew about the hairs.

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
I've been haired by every NW tarantula I own, and so far no reactions. Handled molts too, dusted in hairs, with no effect and I have baby, city-boy skin. I remember reading a thread on here though, about someone who suddenly developed sensitivity to the hairs and had to let a lot of his collection go... I'm dreading the day when/if this happens :(

I'll probably try to tough it out though.

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thats doesn't have anything to do with that.
The problem with the hair not only reside in the shape of them/on contact, but on the chemicals . (Rick C West research about U-Hairs)

For some people tey are "ok" , for some others they are a nightmare.

I tolerate pain quite well, I believe,and Theraphosa hairs will make me itch, will make a huge rash and even swollen the afected area for weeks.

Suzjohnson

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
If you haven't seen this cartoon, you absolutely must. It clearly shows the proper way to dress for dealing with NW tarantulas. Posted by wicked on 8/1/2005 and entitled "The T Keepers". Sorry, if I knew how to post the link, I would but a quick search will locate it for you. Having dealt with the blisters, itchies and raw throat, I'm considering adopting this mode of dress. :D Haven't tried the ultra sticky packing tape removal system yet but willing to give it a try. Ultimately, I believe the only safety lies in NEVER re-housing my GBB!