Acherontia Styx

Wh1teshark

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I posted this on the Luna moth thread but didn't get any answers so I thought that I should post it as a new thread.

Does anyone know if they are hard to come by in europe?

Any experiences out there?

Thanks,

/David

Navaros

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Nice new avatar.:)
I don't know about the availability in Europe but I imagine it is easier finding them there than here (like almost everything else). I'm on a quest to find this species also. Sorry to kinda hijack the thread, but does anyone know anywhere in the US I can get them?

Darkant

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have seen them on my vacation in france......ALPEN, they are really big. I didn't have the change to bring one home with me, only a dead one :?

Navaros

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I hope I can find some, my girlfriend wants them REALLY badly. Their caterpillars shoud be easy since they eat nightshades.

Wh1teshark

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Darkant: It was probably not a A. Styx that you saw in France. More likely a A. Atropis.

Taken from the page that i posted a link to:

DISTRIBUTION

Lower Mesopotamia (Wiltshire, 1957), Saudi Arabia (Pittaway, 1979b; Wiltshire, 1980a), eastern Oman (Wiltshire, 1975a), southern Iran and eastern Afghanistan (Ebert, 1969); as a migrant, it has been found in Turkey, Syria (Wiltshire, 1980b) and Jordan (Pittaway, 1993). A. styx has recently (1982) spread right across Saudi Arabia to Jeddah (Wiltshire, 1986), and may well colonize the African mainland in the near future.

----------------------------------------

I expect there to be CB ones in Europe and USA, just have to find them...

/David

Darkant

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
ok.....well it's hard to tell, cos most of the time those butterflies are flying, and the one i found dead was crushed....

but seen your list i suppose your right