australian sticks

ArachKnight

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Does anybody know the gestation of aussie stick ova? And what the heck are you to feed them when it's winter? Is is true that by not using eucylptus the young perish and never reach adulthood?

thanks,
joel

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
(more details meaing various winter feeding methods, foodplants, caging, species info. etc.)

Brak

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The prickly leaf insect or Extatosoma tiaratum will eat hawthorn, Oregon grape, privet, salal, roses, rhododendron and ivy. Not kale, I think that might be dangerous. Mine have eaten salal (under protest). I like it because it stays green for a long time. They do seem to prefer the softer leaves but during lean times they will eat the others. A head of romaine (well washed) stuck in a jar of water would be great for the little ones.

Is this picture the bug you are talking about?

Brak

Last edited:

ArachKnight

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
That's the walking stick. Also I've come across some at shows but I won't buy them in the winter cuz I don't have any food for them. What do you feed them in the dead of winter if you haven't stock piled leaves from the summer?

Joel:?

ArachKnight

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I know the bug curator at the Bronx Zoo, he has told me that the only stick insect he knows of that is regulated by the USDA is the Indian Walking Stick. He could be wrong but that's what I've heard. If you got any leads please share.

Joel

Navaros

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
They are all illegal. ETs are easy to get but still illegal.

Brak

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have blackberry vines green all year round on the southwest coast of Canada.

Brak

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
You also asked about ova gestation. I understand that when the eggs are laid without a male they could take up tp 9 months to hatch. If a male is present and 'contributing' they will hatch in about 3 months. We shall see. I have some due in March. I also have pink winged sticks (Sipyloidea sipylus) which have been laying eggs all over the place. They stick them on everything, including my ET's!! They have just started hatching after 2 months (no male involved). I'm not sure about legality in Canada as we have fairly cold winters. They would have a hard time. Hope this helps

John

Brak

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
And the pink baby (9 so far). The body is about 1 cm

Last edited:

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
As written, exotic phasmids are indeed banned by the USDA regs, as are nearly every other exotic non-predatory invertebrate. Permits are available, but generally only to museums and zoos.

However, many of these insects have been in culture for decades, way before the regs went into place. The USDA does not appear to be interested in going after the many, many private hobbyists who keep them, probably because it would be virtually impossible. So many people have them, enforcement would require much greater resources than the USDA has. Plus, they have much more serious problems to deal with keeping the REAL pests from slipping in among produce and wood products.

I also suspect that the USDA is aware that most of the popular phasmids pose no threat. I think they do regard the Indian stick as a threat as it has proven to be adaptable to a variety of habitats.

Wade