Giant African Land Snail

Dark

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hi. I saw a cool picture of one and new I had to have it. The biggest problem is they are illegal. If anyone has any info on this giant snail please tell me.:D

From
Eric

Navaros

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
All the info you need is that they are illegal. They are probably the most enforced illegal invert, or at least the most probable to be. They could potentially do a lot of damage.

Darkant

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Originally posted by darkpredator3
Hi. I saw a cool picture of one and new I had to have it. The biggest problem is they are illegal. If anyone has any info on this giant snail please tell me.:D

From
Eric
Illigal??
we can get them in holland, no problem ;P
for more info come to my forum please :}

Navaros

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
They are illegal in the US. They are potential agricultural pests. USDA does NOT allow them.

Wh1teshark

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Here's my two snails. They are real eating machines.
Since they are both sexes (don't know what it's called in english) you just have to have two of them to get eggs.

/David

Wh1teshark

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Don't really see what the fuss is about. It's not like they will pry the lid open when you are not watching and then escape out the window before you even know what happened.

:)

Navaros

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
They are hermaphroditic. Not everyone in the country who would buy those snails would understand to take the precautions when cleaning out their tanks, etc. Someone could easily dump a bunch of eggs or even let them go when they were tired of them. Not as big a problem I'm sure in the cooler states and states that have cold winters, but in warmer states...

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The USDA definately considers exotic snails to be high risk. Introduced snails have caused massive agricultural damage in many other countries. I think the African sanils have already become established in Florida and are a major pest there.

Wade

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Not illegal here either.

We used to have a large one, but it died a good few years ago. I'm sure the shell is still around somewhere.
We have another one but it's still quite small.

Andrew vV

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well, apparently they can survive some pretty cold winters....This could cause some substantial damage to ecosystems(They already have!)
Here is a pic of the leucistic or "white" type

Last edited:

fatbloke

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
i just picked up 22 of them 20 of them have shells about about 1.5 inches the other 2 have shells about 4 inches

first up the babys

fatbloke

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
heres a pic of a shell from which we dont know the specie it could possibly be Achatina Achatina the coin on the shell is 20mm in diameter

genious_gr

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
So, how do those things "molt"?? They leave the shell, go to a quiet corner, and develop a new one?? :?

fatbloke

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
as far as i know they dont molt the shell will grow with them the empty shell in the photo is from an adult that died

john

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Originally posted by genious_gr
So, how do those things "molt"?? They leave the shell, go to a quiet corner, and develop a new one?? :?
They don't. They lay down a new "ring" to the shell as they grow. That's why you both get the spiral form to a snail's shell as well as the transverse striations - think of them almost like the rings in a tree trunk.