Thinking of getting a mantis

Silver.x

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Very cool mantis. I thought you didn't have a lot of money Diane?

DnKslr

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well, we thought we were gonna have to pay for our house out of pocket but we found out that our homeowners insurance will cover most of the damages.:D So, since I'll have tons of overtime this next week (will be working Sat and Sun plus what I sell from home), I can spend on whatever now.
Gotta love that homeowners insurance! I hate having to pay it every month but man, it sure did come in handy this time! Saved us about $2000!:p

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Mantids are interesting and beutiful animals to keep, but they differ pretty dramatically in care requirements from arachnids. They are a lot of fun to keep, but do your research first.

Most species live only a year or less, total lifespan (a few may go a bit beyond this), so to keep them long term you've got to get into breeding. While some might need humidity, they are very sensitive to poor air quality so ventilation is more important. I mist the inside of my mantid containers lightly once a day. They require alot more day-today attention than tarantulas, as they grow faster and eat more.

I recomend the mantid book available here for more information:

www.angelfire.com/oh3/elytraandantenna

Wade

Navaros

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I kept my wahlbergs in tall plastic jars with air ventilation holes melted in and a couple silk vines and a stick to climb on with a substrate of peat, they did great. If I was going to keep them again I would probably just keep them in cups with mesh lid like panty hose or the round pet pal cages for larger ones with just a spray and some food every day. I fed mine mainly crickets but crickets are said to be bad for mantids if fed regularly because of problems with the amount of nitrgoen the crickets have or something, I forget the exact reason. BTW that is only a juvenile, when they get bigger they look like this.
http://www.bugsincyberspace.com/mantids/mantid_images/p_ocellata1.jpg
AKA #9 mantis.

DnKslr

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Wow! That looks cool!
I haven't decided if I want to get one yet though. I have to rearrange my T setup and I'll see how much room I have left.

laila

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi, Diane S!

The ones you posted a picture of, is a Pseudocreobotra Ocellata, and is not the same as on Navaro's picture (which is a Pseudocreobotra Wahlbergii, but they are almost similar both in looks and needs).

Here is a link that may help you decide if it's worth while:

http://www.totalmantis.com/pseudocreobotra.htm

Navaros

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Laila, they are the same thing. From what I have heard the species will eventually be lumped anyway.