PDA

View Full Version : I would have been worried....

Scylla
01-08-2004, 02:04 PM
If not for this board. My G. rosea, Evelina, stopped eating last week. She used to woof down crickets like she was starving. She stopped eating and then began excavating a nice little burrow. This morning she was all webbed in. So I guess she's going to molt soon. Should I be concerned that she's going to molt in a confined area?

Also, Orange Bitey Thingies are which species???

Thanks! Happy New Year!

Wh1teshark
01-08-2004, 02:16 PM
I can atleast give you the answer to your second question:
OBT = Pterinochilus Murinus "Usambara" color phase, (or RCF, red color phase)

/David

Spydra
01-08-2004, 02:19 PM
Here is the link for a caresheet for the OBT

http://www.arachnopets.com/tarantulas/tcaresheets/pspusumbarac.htm

As far as being concerned about her webbing herself into her little hide away, I wouldnt be worried especially if she is close to molting, she just wants a little privacy. ;)

Renee

L_mactans
01-08-2004, 02:22 PM
Scylla,

Rosies are notorious for having odd eating habits. My old rosie would stop eating for months, then start eating again as she used to. With them it may or may not have to do with a moult, all you can do is just watch her, and offer a cricket every once in a while. If she has a bald spot keep an eye out for the color beneath. If it is pink or tan, may not be pre-moult. Dark brown or black... prepare for a moult.
It shouldn't be a problem for it to moult in a confined area, most do it without any issues.

OBT- Orange Bitey Things = Pterinochilus murinus
can also be called usambara, etc

Kelly (L_mac)

Vampire
01-08-2004, 03:15 PM
So, you don't worry about them molting in a tight spot, but, how can you, or do you need to raise the humidity for the molt?

L_mactans
01-08-2004, 04:30 PM
My rosea used to moult inside of her webbed up hide.
Before she closed herself in she would take a long drink of water, I didn't alter any of the other environmental conditions.
She would stay holed up for 2-3 weeks, then come out shiney and new when she was ready.
As long as they have water to drink and conditions to their specifications, they are pretty good about taking care of themselves.
Its when you mess with them too much that problems can occur.

Kelly (L_mac)

Overmenneske
01-10-2004, 08:47 PM
My old Grammostola r. would sometimes fast for over 6 months prior to molting. When molting was finished and she was ready, she ate like never before.

Scylla
01-10-2004, 08:51 PM
Update: She's not molting. She's in there with an egg sac the size of a golf ball!!! =D

Overmenneske
01-10-2004, 08:53 PM
That's great!

Congratulations and good luck! :D