Madagascar Hissing Roaches

Dark

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hi. I breed this species of roach. I have 3 adults 45 babies. I keep them in a small tank. I have egg crates in the tank and pieces of bread. I mist the tank and give the roaches new pieces of bread every day. I remove them from the tank when they molt. When they are done I put them back in the tank. I was wondering how to make my colony bigger?

From
Eric

Navaros

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
More adults. And better food. Higher temps probably wouldn't hurt to get them breeding more.

Feri

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Dry cat food and veggies (cucumber!). And my hissers like it hot! (Their container is next to the radiator and they always hang on the side of the container next to it.)

Feri

Weapon-X

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
re

i just got some of these guys , and they are probaly the neatest roaches i've had so far(also got some orange heads, and dubias), read that if you give them orange peelings or peices of oranges every now and then it will give them a boost and sometimes even a few days later the females will give birth, i give mine a variety of fruit and ground up cat food for protein, i keep the substrate dry, i'm thinking of providing a water dish with gravel in it also.i want to get some deaths heads and peruvian giant roaches next, i never thought in all my days i would ever say i actulay like roaches lol. Jeff

Navaros

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
A pet store here has a bunch of adults for 2 bucks each, kinda tempting since I want to start a roach colony but I would like to avoid anything that can climb. Anyone have any problems with escapes?

Dark

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Originally posted by Navaros
A pet store here has a bunch of adults for 2 bucks each, kinda tempting since I want to start a roach colony but I would like to avoid anything that can climb. Anyone have any problems with escapes?

They never escaped with me they are so easy to care for. If I were you I would start a colony. I am in the prosses of making a colony. You are lucky the roaches only cost $2.00 mine cost $5.00 each. It cost me $10.00 for two. You can get 5 for $10.00. The roaches can climb but it is easy to provent them from escaping.

From
Eric

Navaros

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Guessing I will have o line the top of their tank with vaseline? Does it really help much?

chuck

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by Navaros
Guessing I will have o line the top of their tank with vaseline? Does it really help much?

works well for me. i never had one go AWOL on me. at night i can hear the males fight, and as one is forced up the wall you can hear him fall and smack the cardboard on the ground. :D

DR zuum

ArachnoAntigen
Old Timer
Do adult hissers moult?Im new to breeding roaches for feeders,i've always used everything but them as my wife has a aversion to them.But i got her to let me buy some hissers.I found a male on his back not moving i checked him he seemed dead,so i fed him to one of my gravid T's i have as shes voracious lately,and i saw him kick a bit as if he were not dead,so i was wondering if i accidentally fed one that was simply molting?

Last edited:

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Adult hissers do not molt. Actually, I'm not aware of any insects that molt after reaching maturity, but there's probably exceptions out there somewhere.

Hissers do occassionally get stuck on their backs. I've found escapees dead this way. I suspect this wouldn't happen in wild where the ground isn't perfectly flat, smooth and hard.

Wade

greenfiremajick

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Fruits n veggies definitely!! one of the things that sets them off for breeding/birthing is fruits with high acid content like oranges....you can use some mash like what you use for crickets.....And yeah, get some more adults!!!

darkpredator said:
Hi. I breed this species of roach. I have 3 adults 45 babies. I keep them in a small tank. I have egg crates in the tank and pieces of bread. I mist the tank and give the roaches new pieces of bread every day. I remove them from the tank when they molt. When they are done I put them back in the tank. I was wondering how to make my colony bigger?

From
Eric

greenfiremajick

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Line the inside of the rubbermaid tub you are keeping them in, with petroleum jelly...mine never cross (or climb over) that line of jelly...

Navaros said:

DoubleD's

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
maximize your colony

Hey i breed these guys by the 1000 and what you need to do is first or all get more females. hissers are territorial and the mare males the less they breed, so get more females and check the babies for males thenn take out all the males and feed them off them you will have only females. just follow that and you will soon be overrun with them, the key is making sure each male has a territory of his own and plenty of females to mate with also feedthem oranges it stimulates them to breed.

DexterD
www.doubleds.org

reptillian

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
cat food??

by da way cat food ant very good for them coz it is too high in protein dog food is way better listen im always right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! joke

roach dude

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
roaches

hi
i keep hisser and giant cave roaches i dont use vaciline at the top and i have never had any excapes. my cockroaches love lettuce and also banana .cutcumber is very good for them keeping up there moister levels. use doggy buisuit instead of cat buiscuit because it had less protien and i think the protien could harm them.