Culturing Waxwoms? I'm having issues :(

abstract

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Allright - I tried to search the forum, and I only found this.

Either way - I've been trying to culture these puppies at least 3 times - every time I end up with mostly waxworm-raisins. :mad:

Is it the substrate? Is it my temps? What in the h311 is my problem? :?

I'm using:

Clear food container (pictured below)
Bran/Honey - baked and dried out substrate with wax paper balls
Kept at between 75 and 85 degrees Farenheit.

There is woodchips in the container, but that is from the original waxworm packing.

I've had moths 1 time - but there was only like 3 moths, everything else raisined like in the pictures below.

Last edited:

abstract

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Waxworm Setup

This is the container they are in (i realize the ventilation holes might be a *bit* big).....

Attachments

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Last time I tried I got one moth, the rest of the worms died, although they never looked like raisins. This was because the wax-cakes they came with molded like hell no matter what I did.

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Here's a thread with more details:

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4498&highlight=waxworms

When you do a search here, you sometimes need to expand the time frame of your seach. By default it only searches the last 30 days and older threads don't come up.

I think your problem is the wood chips. Waxworms left in the packing container end up looking exactly like your waxworm raisins. I don't know why they always come packed in wood chips, it's completely useless, and possibly harmful. It's like the dealers WANT them to die. I guess you have to buy more that way!

Next time, I'd separtate out the worms and toss the bedding.

Wade

abstract

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Thanks!

Thanks Wade -

That thread was good; I'll remember to do an advanced search too next time.

I'll try again with a new container (smaller holes), no woodchips, and rubber-banding the waxpaper together as suggested in the thread.

Results will be reported here.

Thanks again! :D

Longbord1

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i remember one crawled under a moist paper towel i had in a cage and i looked under it tand there was a pupae but i threw it out
lol

Schlyne

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Old thread being bumped. I left my waxworms in the sweet bran mix they were eating. Haven't had a problem with them turning into moths.