My B.Smithi died

xxJagerbombeRxx

Arachnopeon
It is a sad day and it sucks that my first post here is not good news.

I bought my T in September of 2010, it molted in November and then i decided to rehouse it in February 2011 (no reason for the move, just looked better in my room). It molted on the week-end that just passed and i found it in the corner of the hide all curled up. I have owned T's before and did not see anything out of the ordinary. So i am a bit confused as to why this may have happened. I always have a water dish with fresh water, i only use the eco-coconut bedding (however it was very dry) over the last month, from the time I moved the T into the new home, it began to burrow. This was the only thing i noticed it do out of its normal routine.

I will be getting another T but, just venting a little. I have a G.Rosa that is living in the same room and tank set up and it is as healthy as a horse.

Was it something I did or didn't do....

phoenixxavierre

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It is a sad day and it sucks that my first post here is not good news.

I bought my T in September of 2010, it molted in November and then i decided to rehouse it in February 2011 (no reason for the move, just looked better in my room). It molted on the week-end that just passed and i found it in the corner of the hide all curled up. I have owned T's before and did not see anything out of the ordinary. So i am a bit confused as to why this may have happened. I always have a water dish with fresh water, i only use the eco-coconut bedding (however it was very dry) over the last month, from the time I moved the T into the new home, it began to burrow. This was the only thing i noticed it do out of its normal routine.

I will be getting another T but, just venting a little. I have a G.Rosa that is living in the same room and tank set up and it is as healthy as a horse.

Was it something I did or didn't do....
I'm sorry for your loss!

The only thing I can think of and could be mistaken regarding it, is the possibility of molds or fungus from the coconut into the lungs. I use a mixture of peat, potting soil, and sand depending upon the t itself and its natural environment, so I'm a bit unfamiliar with coconut bedding.

I would say old age but I get the feeling that you didn't buy this as an adult. Did you?

Sometimes when a tarantula molts, when they are soft their skin can break open, and they can bleed to death. You mentioned the t was curled up, legs curled under, did you notice anything else unusual about the t? Any liquid or anything abnormal?

I have had similar experiences and I know how it feels. It's not your fault. Sometimes things happen and we have no idea why. We could be doing everything right, and still have an unexplained death.

RoseT

Arachnosquire
Sorry for your loss, it could have been a post molt issue. It doesn't look like there was anything wrong with your keeping as they do like it dry, might have been temp? What was it. U usually keep mine between 78-72 at night.