Oreophoetes peruana I want some!!!

ahphule

Arachnopeon
Hi everyone

This is both an intro and a request for help finding a stick insect .

I'm mostly a frog guy though the joke is I have more fruit flies then frogs. 20 to 30 32 oz cultures a week to feed 106 poison dart frogs...in a 1 bedroom apartment. I also culture rice flour beetles, milkweed bugs, pill bugs and springtails. And man OH man do I want some termites. I wish it was summer so I could hit the woods. i live in Maryland, USA and have seen termites( damp wood termites ) they are the best dart frog feeder around.

Anyway...

I have been looking for Oreophoetes peruana

It is a peruvian stick insect that eats ferns.and according to one site would be an Ideal insect to keep in a large vivarium. the male and the female look different so they are easily sexable and the eat ferns=D . I haven't seen much about them but someone has to have them. I'd like some help. Please. Here's the site that started the hunt for me.

http://www.vivaria.nl/html/animals.html

Hope to contribute some threads on the insects I raise and hope to raise(like pea aphids). EZ everybody

Last edited:

Navaros

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
O. peruana as well as all other stick insects are illegal in the US and Canada. But they would be good in a viv since they would eat unwanted ferns, but they would also eat any that you wanted, and they would do it very quickly.

ahphule

Arachnopeon
Darn it, Darn darn!!!

:mad: :mad: :mad:

Doesn't the government have enough to worry about without interfering with my insects.

I know people are stupid and release animals were they shouldn't but a total ban seem excessive.

Oh well

Maybe I'll try chinese longhorn beetles:}

Thanks

Navaros

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well, it isn't just releasing, phasmids can reproduce parthenogenetically. The females can lay "fertilized" eggs without ever even coming in contact with a male. Every baby that hatches out is also a female capable of laying at least 100+ eggs each. They have potential to become a big problem. So when keeping phasmids you even have to be careful when cleaning their tanks. You have to freeze everything you take out of them in case there are eggs left over that you missed.